1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the worst feedback you've ever been given in an Interview?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kat Harwood, Sep 28, 2003.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Post 100 holqueen, that was sex discrimination, however it was worded.

2. Iknow ILS, but what could I do? Good news is that that was three years ago. Since then I got my Deputy headship and am now head of a school with very challenging behaviour. The Govs. here could see beyond my height!! (No pun intended)

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

sometimes honestly is difficult to deal with

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

2 types

a - you were fantastic but....(and they just can't tell you why you didn't get it)...

b - well, you don't have any recent experience of such-and-such (which you could see if you bothered to read the application so why did you bl00dy ask me to interview, you plank?)

5. In my pre-teaching days I went for a sec/admin job. I had a test and reached second interview stage. I was then informed by letter that I was 'overqualified' for the job. (It wasn't even THAT high flying!)

Thanks for wasting my time.

6. I was too 'innovative' and (in spite of speaking using correct grammar, which was acknowledged) an 'ugly estuary accent'. This was for a school in Kent with delusions of grandeur. They openly admitted to wanting a 'puppet' head of year, as the control freaks at the top made ALL the choices- the post was given to a stammering NQT who had come for a form tutor level job. I think she was more shocked than we were.

7. I once went for a day interview consisting of team-building, presentation and formal interview followed by round two. I was an internal candidate. My feedback was 'you'd be great, we have no doubt, just not yet, reapply in a few months time'. Needless to say, I left!

The candidate who got the post was an external candidate. She was extremely nervous, to the extent of chain-smoking and having to go outside for drinks of water, shaking etc. I couldn't help wondering how she'd get on with some of our more unpredictable students. It was a cruellty to appoint her and I soon found out how it impacted on her well being. Stupid management.

8. Hi everyone

I was once told that I didn't make enough eye contact, and in the following one I made "too much eye contact which was quite disconcerting". I have also had my fair share of being told that I didn't do anything wrong, that one candidate beat me to it, that it was a real pity they didn't have 2 jobs and so on. Not terrible feedback, but really unhelpful.

On the first day of a new (non teaching) job, I turned up to work and my immediate boss said, "Oh, it's you. I didn't want you - I wanted that other one." I ended up leaving after 2 months.

x

9. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I once had a HT ring me to say I hadn't got the job because the successful candidate could offer more musical ability - and then he asked me out!!! Cheeky sod!

10. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I didn't get an RE post because I couldn't teach boys football...

11. Don't even get me started.

We'd be here all night.

12. I was once told that my CV was wonderful and that my interview technique was brilliant.

I still don't know why I didn't get the job!!!

Nice compliments, but not much use as feedback.

13. inq

inq

This thread was right at the very bottom of page 2303 - so I thought I'd move it!

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

None, just no message, nothing. Eventually my Head phoned, as I was being made redundate and he was told, 'She didn't get the job.' Wow such politeness!

15. I was told I was so laid back they didn't think I would be able to enthuse and motivate the pupils. Then he told methat it was my loss that I didn't get the job. They also kept us there from 8am to 4pm without giving us tea or coffee or even telling us where to go to buy lunch in the canteen. Sooooo glad I didn't get the job. 16% turnover of staff a year!

From the two interviews I had where I didn't get the job I learnt a lot about warning signs. Do do 'preliminary' interviews (5 mins to impress the HT or you don't make it to the real interview.
    Watch out when you turn up and there are 20+ other candidates for interview.
    Don't work for people who can't even be bothered to offer you tea or coffee.
    An the whole interview process in schools Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hate it. It is so barbaric and wouldn't happen in business.
    Sorry pet peeve.

16. I didn't get one job because I was the more expensive option.

As for internal candidates always being shoe ins - not in our school. The head rarely appoints internally - especially for middle management positions.

She wants people who she has hired into the school. Out of 10 positions since I have been there- only 2 have been internal and one was given to someone who was hired by the current head a couple of years ago.

17. morning star

morning star New commenter

Apparently I am not "solution-focussed enough".

18. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I had to phone three days later, as they'd not been in touch as they said they would... to be told "Oh no, we've got someone else to do it. He's got far more to offer."

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My worst feedback was :"You're not qualified for the job, but you're all we can afford!"

Not my feedback, but from a place where I once worked...""Let's offer the job to the hot blonde, the brunette is better qualified, but let's face it, no amount of qualifications are gonna get the little b*ggers to achieve anything. At least the blonde is easy on the eye and maybe the kids will be more engaged if they fancy their tutor!"

20. All my feedback has been positive, which is no help really, although 1 did say I did not get the job as they wanted a female teacher, so why the heck did they shortlist me? Probably to tick some boxes, but I lost an entire day to that.