1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the worst feedback you've ever been given in an Interview?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kat Harwood, Sep 28, 2003.

1. `they` are still legally obliged to advertise the position but more and more unqualified people are taken on for around a quarter of a professional teacher`s salary. I too have been told that I am too expensive. Or as one Head once said of the successful candidate (still a PGCE student at marjons at the time) `She is academically closer to the development in the curriculum` ie young gullible and cheap.

2. Shaun the sheep I must admit I once told a Head when asked the perfunctionary question `if-offered-this-postion-would-you-take-it` that he had no intention of offering me the job as he had been very rude throughout the interview (interrupting and contradicting an answer I was giving another member of the panel, and being mistaken in his comment on my answer anyway) and that I considered the postion was going to the young student teacher in the shortest skirt. Guess who got the job? yep miss micro skirt

3. I was taken by surprise at one interview in rural devon when the dh asked me to `justify English in the curriculum` I must have stared at him a little too long because he said with a smirk `Ah by not saying anything`. I responded that English was the lynchpin of every other subject and not like Geography (his subject) which is just for professional picnickers, which got a laugh from the rest of the panel.

The pompous little twit said I had come across as `too aggressive` and I told him he shouldn`t asked such damn fool questions then. He told me that I was lucky in my own position in London as he `deeply regretted his children didn`t know any black people` , being where they were! This in the 21st century!

4. Strangest comment I got after an interview was that I shouldn't wear green nail varnish! Yeah, the colour of my nails is obviously related to my teaching ability! Idiots! (Please note it was a soft pale green that matched my very smart blouse & suit and was actually quite subtle). Why this head had been staring at my nails during the interview I cannot say but at least I should be grateful that he wasn't staring at my bosom like many other heads I have encountered...
    I'm basically sick and tired of finding out after the interview that I was only there to make up the numbers with the usual line about my interview being very good (yes I know it was good I was there!) followed by the line about selecting the other candidate because they were already known to the school. Why did you bother to advertise then? I am so annoyed by schools blatantly wasting my time - why am I looking round your school and spending 10 hours on my application when you have already 'picked' your internal candidate or someone else you know?
    Now, I consider myself, and others have told me, that I am a very outgoing person, chirpy, animated etc. One Head told me that they chose the other candidate (who I later discovered was known to them... so another set up...) because she was 'bright and bouncy'! I went away and consulted ny colleagues about whether I was 'bright and bouncy' and they all agreed I was exceptionally so , so I can only imagine that the other candidate must have been on E's or something..!

5. I think that is the point. Applicants SHOULD know these things. THe recruitment process should be completely transparent if governing bodies don't want to risk candidates suing them.

6. LOL! I wish I'd been a fly on the wall in this interview!

7. In Jules A's 'picknicker' one, I mean :)

8. One school I went to for interview, gave the job to the internal candidate the same day. We were told to relax in the (stinking) staff room while they deliberate, strangely the internal candidate was missing. Then, in walked the internal candidate, and arrogantly told us he got the job. I then went straight to the head's office. Well, if they have decided who was the best candidate already, then surely, they have decided on the reasons why the rest of us were not the best candidates? I walked in, to the surprise of the HT. He said, nervingly, I was over-dressed, when he himself wore a bow tie, and creepingly looked like Harold Shipman. I am not one for judging people on the appearence and attire, but seen as he started it, I had to finish it. And I was too loud.
    This was followed by, "Your lesson seemed like you were spoon-feeding the kids, with little room for independent thinking", I replied. "Well, I was unaware of and was not given any informaton on the childrens's ability levels, even, when I asked the secretary prior to the interview, so, with this in mind, I planned using the 'ALL' criteria, and the worksheets did contain graduating questioning" He did not reply and I left. A HT, who decided way back, that the internal will get the job, whilst not bothering to read the worksheet, then desperately resorting to the cliched appearance/attire line of excuse. Pathetic!

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

To be fair, Mewx you do sounds fairly fearsome! Maybe

10. fantastischfish

he

11. fantastischfish

he was s

12. fantastischfish

To be fair, Mewx you do sounds fairly fearsome! Maybe he w

13. fantastischfish

as s

14. fantastischfish

as scared

15. fantastischfish

To be fair, Mewx you do sounds fairly fearsome! Maybe he

16. fantastischfish

To be fair, Mewx you do sounds fairly fearsome! Maybe he was s

17. fantastischfish

cared

18. fantastischfish

cared of y

19. fantastischfish

I've got absolutely NO idea what happened there! I was trying to say:

to be fair, Mewx you do sound fairly fearsome! Maybe he was scared of you.

Stupid TES.

20. Eva,
    There is me thinking I was also scaring you, so much, that you could not fully concentrate on your typing lol. I am still looking for work, as you could probably imagine, currently on supply. All I want from them is HONESTY! But we are never going to get it, because most interviewers have their favourites, and by being honest, they going to get themselves in a whole lot of mess. Only last week, at an interview, I left as soon as I found out that one of the candidates was an internal, bloody smart ***. What I want is a level-playing field!! I am actually getting angry now, thumping the keyboard as I type. Time for a coffee. Phheeewwwww.