1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the worst feedback you've ever been given in an Interview?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kat Harwood, Sep 28, 2003.

1. I had three interviews before being offered my current post. The first one was fine, no real problems but there were some outstanding candidates there. They told me they liked me very much, and that I was good, just not quite good enough. But then in the second one I was told my teaching style was to condescending and patronising for a Year Four class, and in the third one I was told I was so calm I came across as being flat and dull! Charming!

What other interview horrors have you had?

2. I had three interviews before being offered my current post. The first one was fine, no real problems but there were some outstanding candidates there. They told me they liked me very much, and that I was good, just not quite good enough. But then in the second one I was told my teaching style was to condescending and patronising for a Year Four class, and in the third one I was told I was so calm I came across as being flat and dull! Charming!

What other interview horrors have you had?

3. That feedback must have been very hard to take Kat but I wish I had had something like that said to me. All I have been offered is that you're very good and if there was more than one job available you'd certainly have got it but the other person was better.

It's left me feeling as if there is something even my best friend wouldn't tell me:) But really I suspect it's because I am fat - not grossly so but enough to offend the appearance/diet Mafia.

4. I'd love to say confidently that no way would that be the case, but I know the ridiculous prejudices people have. As if it matters! Furthermore, you're in you're forties (I think!) and "middle aged spread" is perfectly normal. All the women in our family are quite thin but when my mum was in her forties and fifties she did look quite pinched and unhealthy in all honesty and would have suited some flesh.

I'm gaining quite a bit of weight at the moment though so I'd better shut up!

5. one head told me that i was at the bottom of the list... :eek:(

his loss

6. Months after an interview for a job I actually got, my HOD said I had a "Clint Eastwood sneer of distaste" on my face throughout the interview, as if it pained me to condescend to take part at all. Funny that, because it's exactly how I feel about interviews. She said they'd put it down to nerves. That's the only proper interview I've ever had, which is why I'm in such a flap over the latest round of jobseeking.

7. I didn't get one job as I was totally unprepared for one question theuy askd to do with co-ordinating a subject which was not mentioned in the job spec they'd sent!!!! However the other candidate had been sent the info and they call it equal opps!!!!

8. Hi Kat,

My favourite tale is when a pal of mine got his first headship ..... months after he was in the pub with his Chair of Govs - who after having one too many - told him he had only been selected because the Governing body couldn't decide on which of the other two to choose .... and to save face and falling out - they chose him!!

Mine .... there have been many - but i think the best was to be told that during the interview my voice was mouse-like and often disappeared so no-one could hear me ..... but what they could understand they thought I was talking a load of rubbish anyway ..... so it didn't matter anyway ....

I was gutted ..... but .... it certainly made me re-think my interviewing technique - and seek help and advice!!

9. Paul and Lily, I laughed out loud at those!

Pettya, come work in my school, I wouldn't mess with you and neither would my nightmare class!

10. I was told at one place that I was too enthusiastic. I would have thought that this was a good quality when teaching music to secondary kids, but not in this school. Glad I didn't get it now, who knows what I would be like now!

11. I've been told I'm too polite!

12. My constant cry after interviews has been Why won't they tell me what I'm doing wrong? After reading these I am wondering that even more. I have been told by others I've worked with(not on interviewing panels) that I am "threatening to those in authority" and "too much of a loose canon" which is something I suppose they can't say to you in the debriefing. I have always felt awful after those because I have felt they are giving no good reason or the real reason for turning me down.

As for the fat issue I have come across men and women far bigger than I am who it hasn't held back so I suppose I am just picking on what I feel is my most obvious drawback.

13. As of yet still had no interview (bad sign?)

But feedback from my uni lecture on teaching practice was:

'to be quite frank you are not an excellent student just a very good one. You will probably find that you will make a better teacher than someone who has been classed as an excellent teacher.'

Well OK then that clarified that I DON'T THINK. I should add that this was on my final T.P. I had achieved the 4 targets expected completed all work and had been involved in an Estyn inspection where I was observed and given positive feedback. all this whilst my father was dying of cancer in hospital but still I didn't deserve to begiven an excellent. This particular lectures father died two months later and had to take two weeks off work WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THIS PERSON! but hey I hope one day someone will appreciate my efforts in a more positive way. (wish me luck I start a months supply tomorrow)

14. Sorry to hear about your father NQT2. I think that so much assessment of what is a good teacher is incredibly subjective whilst "they" are all going round pretending they are being objective.

I think that what sort of a teacher you are can vary at different points in your life and career anyway. I have been an excellent teacher in my time but now I am just a defeated one who endures the job because I have to.

I got my university dept's Education prize and yet didn't get a permanent job (which I should never have accepted anyway) until 2 years after qualification. I felt gutted when I saw people with thirds who'd just about managed to get their PGCE's by the skin of their teeth walk into jobs after their first or second interviews. More depends on luck and your face fitting than anyone will admit.

15. One head didn't give me a job because they didn't like my shoes. They even phoned me up after the fact to let me know. Thanks.

16. Being good at interviews and being good at the job are two different things.

17. I was once told that the Governors, who were part of the interviewing board, were frightened by me and thought that I was a 'left-wing trendy'.

The Head then went on to advise me to treat Governors like children and to use only the simplest language at my next interview.

Needless to say, I considered my lack of success as a lucky escape :)

18. At one interview I was told that my answers were too quick - obviously I wasnt giving full consideration to the questions.

At the next interview - guess what they said???

19. I laughed myself hysterical at this one...Not suitable for the job as too educated and have heart problems. The job? Sitting on a chair in a shop 3 days a week, whilst I did an M.A.

Wouldn't have worked for them anyway as they obviously were barking up the wrong tree.

20. Anon - when I had my last interview there was a Staff Governor on that panel (DHT).

I was once in the position of being offered a job but went for an inteview at another school for the practice....they told me ( and bear in mind I had on my CV that I ran team-building sessions)....that they didn't think I was a team player. I told them back at the school I was working at - they fell about laughing.

So the message is clear - DO NOT be upset by not getting a job - be philosophical about it - you'll get the right one in the end - These things have a way of working out.

=:cool:{---{