1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the timescale for this kind of thing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Aug 16, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Evening folks
    I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.
    To cut a long story short, 5 year old tartette is about to start primary school. Ideally, she'd be starting tomorrow (this is Scotland) at our no.1 school of choice, where she is currently no.1 on the waiting list ... (although we obviously have a back-up plan in place!)
    It's looking very unlikely that she'll get a place there in the next few days, even though there is a boy due to start in the class:
    - whose parents haven't officially accepted his place at the school
    - who hasn't turned up to any of the P1 induction days
    - whose telephone numbers are unavailable
    - whose parents haven't responded to any written communication from the school
    Basically all reasonable attempts to contact this family have drawn a blank and it sounds to me like they have moved away. If I'm right then this is frustrating because tartette could have his place!
    I am going to telephone the school tomorrow to establish whether or not this child has shown up for his first day.
    How long do you think the school can/should hold open his place before offering it to another child?
    Hope all this makes sense - I feel tired tonight. Many thanks indeed :eek:)

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Evening folks
    I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.
    To cut a long story short, 5 year old tartette is about to start primary school. Ideally, she'd be starting tomorrow (this is Scotland) at our no.1 school of choice, where she is currently no.1 on the waiting list ... (although we obviously have a back-up plan in place!)
    It's looking very unlikely that she'll get a place there in the next few days, even though there is a boy due to start in the class:
    - whose parents haven't officially accepted his place at the school
    - who hasn't turned up to any of the P1 induction days
    - whose telephone numbers are unavailable
    - whose parents haven't responded to any written communication from the school
    Basically all reasonable attempts to contact this family have drawn a blank and it sounds to me like they have moved away. If I'm right then this is frustrating because tartette could have his place!
    I am going to telephone the school tomorrow to establish whether or not this child has shown up for his first day.
    How long do you think the school can/should hold open his place before offering it to another child?
    Hope all this makes sense - I feel tired tonight. Many thanks indeed :eek:)

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It's entirely up to the school, but I would suggest a week at the very least in order for the school to investigate where said child has enrolled from a welfare point of view.

4. Won't your daughter be expecting to start at your second-choice school tomorrow?

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

No Lily, as second choice school goes back a week later.
    Forgot to say that this is Edinburgh, where there is generally a lot of 'churn' as far as school numbers go, as well as many people from overseas.
    Thanks for reply.

6. Does she not know where she'll be going?

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Yes, she does. We have totally prepared her for choice no 2 (as 1 always a bit unlikely) and she is happy with it. However, she went to pre-school at choice 1 and in many respects this school would make life easier.
    She would be happy at both options and we have done all we can to settle and prepare her, even though it may sound a bit up in the air!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I wouldn't want my child to go to a school which would give a parent that much information about another child. The amount of information you have about the other child is disgraceful in my opinion.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I was thinking that too seren......

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Agreed.

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Really? That's interesting. I think it's just a case of the Head trying to be open and keep us in the loop, seeing as we are now so close to a place there. I feel it won't work out anyway, to be honest.

12. I think it is incredibly concerning. Would you be happy for your child/family circumstances to be openly discussed with another parent in the interest of keeping them in 'the loop'.

13. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Yes, I was thinking that as I was reading the OP to be honest! I think all you can do is wait, I'm afraid.

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Sorry folks, must dash. Mr Tarte grumbling because I've hardly spent any time with him this evening. You raise an interesting point though, and one I admit I hadn't much thought about til now.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yes, really.
    Well, that's a HT I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
    Think about it...would you want that amount of information about your child and your family situation being discussed with other parents?

So far as I was aware placing requests in Scotland are handled by the Local Authority and not by individual schools but I am a bit out of touch with the process. Frankly, I'd be sorely tempted to report the HT to the LA.

16. If the other child 'officially' has a place at the school, Ive a feeling its a fortnight of non-attendance before he can be struck off role. I had a child up and leave from my class this year and had to mark her down as absent for a fortnight before we could officially strike her off, as we had not officially been told she'd left and could not contact her.

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thank you, impulce! [​IMG]
    I'm aware that the majority of you believe the Head has acted unprofessionally. Maybe a bit (although it's hard for me to come down on her, when it was us she was trying to help) but the world isn't going to cave in as a result. I know nothing of this boy (no personal details at all) or his background and never will, especially as I'm now 99% certain that my daughter will not be attending this school. Even if we were eventually offered his place, I would have to turn it down as I don't have a fortnight to wait and wouldn't take my daughter out of the school already started.
    I feel it's selfish of the family in question not to keep the school informed of their circumstances. If he fails to show up, then he has effectively deprived us of a place at a good primary school. The Head sympathised with our predicament, particularly as we now have to remove our older daughter from the school as it would be logistically impossible to have them at two different schools.
    So no, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the Head's handling of the situation.

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

This is true, but it is handed over to individual schools at the last minute, usually a couple of days before term starts.

19. I thought if you were in catchment they HAD to take you?

20. Two weeks? It's several months at least around here.