1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the rule on working in schools were you are related to pupils?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tobychainsaw, May 3, 2012.

1. Last week, I was ecstatic at getting supply at the school literally around the corner from where I live. However, the school phoned the agency and told them I couldn't teach that class because my step granddaughter was in it. A few months ago I went to another school where I found out that two pupils there were the grandson of someone I went out with ten years ago. The head said I couldn't go back to the school as it was and EBD school, it might set those children off.
    Is there a set rule on working in classes or schools where you are related to a pupil or is this just schools being awkward?

2. Last week, I was ecstatic at getting supply at the school literally around the corner from where I live. However, the school phoned the agency and told them I couldn't teach that class because my step granddaughter was in it. A few months ago I went to another school where I found out that two pupils there were the grandson of someone I went out with ten years ago. The head said I couldn't go back to the school as it was and EBD school, it might set those children off.
    Is there a set rule on working in classes or schools where you are related to a pupil or is this just schools being awkward?

3. I suspect it's schools being awkward but I might be wrong. Many permanent teachers work in the same school and even teach their own kids. When I was permanent somewhere a child in my class's mum came in to work as a volunteer for a while as she was a teacher but had had a career break. After a while she actually did some paid supply, probably LEA paid through the school too. Maybe the school is worried about how their children and staff treat supply teachers and worry you might feedback to the parents!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Personally I avoid schools where I might know some of the kids from outside school. I don't think there's a policy about this, it just keeps things simple for me.
    My agency knows this and have no problem with it.

5. Not much good on the 'equal ops', side of things IMO, if supply can't get work or at least the chance to work with rushes of judgement from heads on the issue.
    Have worked in EBD schools have seen aunties uncles about, just another thing to be dealt with sensibly.
    But sensible, and fair, is not high on the agenda when hiring supply by some heads.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no rule.
    Many teachers enrol their children at their school as it makes life easier with having the same holiday periods, start and finish of school day etc.
    I went through my entire Infant/Primary stage with my father as a mainscale teacher or Deputy Head and he was my teacher for one year.
    There was a PGCE student at one of my schools three years ago and he had secured a permanent post at his old secondary schools. He was going to be timetabled to teach his younger brother's class in his NQT year.

7. I taught my nephew in my NQT year. The school were well aware before they offered me the job. Nobody minded and it was very good experience for both me and him.

8. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I have worked in a couple of schools where teachers children are also at the school or even in the same year group (but not the same class.) Nobody seems to mind and everything goes like normal.

9. I covered a class which had my daughter in it when on supply. The only thing that happened that was different was the head of department came in to observe the lesson. Apparently it was not to see me, as he complemented on my delivery of the lesson on Tudor food (I am Science), but it was to see my daughter squirm. She was a lot quieter than she normally is at home!