1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the refund on a McDonald's unhappy meal worth?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Misdirection? Why would anyone think they are 100% meat. They're very obviously coated in batter

The other ingredients are what's in the coating and the oil it's fried in. They're not injected into ground up chicken. Although it looks like the chicken meat might have water pumped into it, as so much cheap chicken does.

upload_2020-8-6_14-17-48.png

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The chicken is ground up and made into shapes. It's not pieces of chicken.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Also, if it's mechanically recovered from the breast part of the carcass, it's technically breast meat, albeit not as we know it, Jim.

4. Rott Weiler

If they did. But they don't according to the FAQs on their website

upload_2020-8-6_15-19-29.png

agathamorse and Oscillatingass like this.
  5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I just think some people dont like Maccy D because it is .......American therefor it must be bad. In the past their reputation has left something to be desired but they have cleaned up their act in recent years.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I generally avoid food you eat with your hands. Too infantilising

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Prime rib is a popular dish in quality American restaurants. As a popular American dish, it wouldn't deter me from having one. I thoroughly enjoyed those I've had in America.
    So much so that they put face masks in the chicken nuggets?

The corporation has frequently attempted to clean up its act in response to health concerns, but not always to the satisfaction of its customers, as Malcolm Gladwell obseves in this podcast.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/19-mcdonalds-broke-my-heart

8. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

That's a cultural thing. In many places it's normal to eat with your hands.

9. Doitforfree

I don't liked it because it's full of fat, and there is sugar in places where sugar should not be found. And their buildings are incredibly ugly. And the litter. And the waste. And the horrid logo. And the weird bread. I shouldn't have been surprised when we went to the States and found that all American bread is like that.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

45% chicken in the average gunge shape
    Screenshot_20200806-184015-01.jpeg

And don't forget the fries - just pure potato

and

Canola Oil
    Soybean Oil
    Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
    Natural Beef Flavor
    Hydrolyzed wheat
    Hydrolyzed milk
    Citric Acid
    Dextrose
    Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate
    Salt
    Tertiary butylhydroquinone
    Citric Acid
    Dimethylpolysiloxane
    Tertiary butylhydroquinone

11. Oscillatingass

You are most welcome to your opinion and I am sure you don't object to mine which is different from yours.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Oscillatingass

Is the photograph from a McDonalds manufacturing plant or just some random meat processing factory?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

That picture originated from a US animal welfare group exposé of an (independent) Tennessee poultry processing plant in 2015 although their exposé was about cruelty by US slaughterhouse workers not about what went into McNuggets. There was no claim that the picture represented how McNuggets were made. The exposé does not explain why that shot is included. The shot appears to be from a different source because, unlike the cruelty shots, it has not been filmed by hidden cameras as far as I can tell.

14. Rott Weiler

Where does that list come from? McDonalds website says something completely different

upload_2020-8-6_19-25-2.png

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

From Macdonalds

"Next up is the grinding operation at Tyson where the chicken is ground up before being molded into McNuggets. The ground chicken is plopped onto a conveyor belt in a way that even the most die-hard meat lover might have difficultly witnessing.

Screenshot_20200806-184015-01.jpeg

"We grind it to give it to give you that real meaty texture that you expect in Chicken McNuggets," Steward tells Imahara in the video.". :confused::confused:

16. Rott Weiler

And the problem with minced meat is .... what?

You'd never eat a burger, from any source? Never eat Shepherd's Pie? A meat loaf? Meatballs? Moussaka? Satay? Kebabs?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

18. Rott Weiler

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Doitforfree

I don't object to your view at all. I was just pointing out that there are plenty of reasons to dislike Macdonald's other than its being American.

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

upload_2020-8-6_21-26-11.jpeg