1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the point in interview questions?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by thekizzaa, Feb 23, 2016.

1. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

I know this sounds like a silly questions, but what's the point in questions at interview?

What relevance do they have in recruiting a teacher, and how much weight does the "questions" part of an interview have?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Partly to see the theory behind the practice

Partly to find out more about you as a teacher and as a person. Your ethos, if you like

Partly to see if you could all get along and work effectively together.

Which is why we don't give suggested answers to interview questions on here. It's you they are interviewing, not us!

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Interviews in Scotland consist entirely of the interview - they do not watch you teach a model lesson.

Theo forgot to add that there are some essential aspects of the interview section, especially safeguarding. I still interview people for SLT posts and they're often frighteningly poor at answering safeguarding questions.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Best safe guarding question I've had in my (many) interviews was "on a residential trip the headteacher is behaving in an inappropriate way towards the children. What do you do?" I liked that one.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too!

Somewhat similar to one I have asked for HoD posts:

Just suppose that I, as Head, teach one GCSE group in your subject. You get a complaint from a parent that in the classes I am on the computer answering e-mails instead of actually teaching . . .

Best wishes

7. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Can you just say that you hate residential trips and so I'd never be in that situation?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not if you are in a school that organises them for each year group!

:)

Best wishes

9. Middlemarch

Not if you want the job! The question isn't about whether or not you'd do residentials, it's about how you'd react when presented with a safeguarding dilemma.

10. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I'm not sure I even understand the question o_O What would an interview be if there were no questions?

wanet likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

I assumed the OP meant "Why don't they just watch you teach?" - which is why I mentioned the fact that in Scotland they do not (I believe the Scottish teachers' union prohibits it) observe teaching within interview processes.

senlady likes this.
  12. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Oh I see! In which case my answer is - anyone can teach a one off great lesson!

The interviewing school wants to 'know' the person and whether they will 'fit'

wanet and Middlemarch like this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Lots of people can "do" a good interview too. I think recruitment for permanent positions is very hard.

14. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Just for the context, I had an interview yesterday, and I was thinking afterwards why they asked the questions they did.

It's given me a bit more of an insight.

I'm yet to hear from them on whether I got the job. I hate the waiting.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

16. Middlemarch

Indeed. I recall a candidate who taught a fantastic lesson and did a great interview; his references from PGCE were good, too. My goodness me, once in post he couldn't keep order in any classes to save his life - apart from when a member of SLT or his HOD was in there with him.

17. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Thanks! Got the job :)

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hurray!

Now start a new thread called Dear Theo - i got that job! to encourage other posters, and to allow us to congratulate you.

Best wishes

19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I know I am a renowned cynic at times but the 0. whatever seconds you first make eye contact with the interviewer(s) probably has more weighting than any questions.

20. Middlemarch

Not below AHT level.