1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what's the name of the game?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by splendidsusan, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I'm hoping for some good advice from those of you in the know. I haven't done supply before but need to get back (for a couple of days a week) into the classroom following a 18 month gap - prior to this I'd been teaching secondary for 8 years.
    I sent CV to 2 agencies last week and had no response. When I phoned one to enquire if they'd got my CV the recruitment chappie said I'd next to no hope of getting day-to-day supply and his best advice was "get some experience in primary!"
    Later in the week I registered for supply with 2 other agencies and they called me immediately to get me on their books and asked me to register in person.
    I know the situation is very hard for supply teachers and I'd like to think I not under too many illusions as to the challenges of the role, but I'm not sure why the vast differences in attitude between agencies. What's the deal here? I'm in London btw. Any advice much appreciated.

2. I'm hoping for some good advice from those of you in the know. I haven't done supply before but need to get back (for a couple of days a week) into the classroom following a 18 month gap - prior to this I'd been teaching secondary for 8 years.
    I sent CV to 2 agencies last week and had no response. When I phoned one to enquire if they'd got my CV the recruitment chappie said I'd next to no hope of getting day-to-day supply and his best advice was "get some experience in primary!"
    Later in the week I registered for supply with 2 other agencies and they called me immediately to get me on their books and asked me to register in person.
    I know the situation is very hard for supply teachers and I'd like to think I not under too many illusions as to the challenges of the role, but I'm not sure why the vast differences in attitude between agencies. What's the deal here? I'm in London btw. Any advice much appreciated.

3. The first one was probably more realistic. The others just want your name on their books. You will have to fork out for a CRB for each of them which will cost a fortune you don't presumably have and no work will be found for you.

4. Thanks for your response.
    I was under the illusion that they'd pay for my CRB check!! Certainly don't have money to register if there's unlikely to be any return.

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

The first agency was definitely more with it. Day to day, whether you are in London or Leeds has virtually disappeared, unless you want to work as a cover supervisor for £60 a day.
    Agencies will very, very rarely pay for a CRB up front. Some will do portability on an exisiting CRB but not all of them will. Some agencies will pay you your CRB fee back after a certain number of days worked.
    I've had a grand total of 14 days since September. I qualified in September 2007 and teach two shortage subjects.