1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what's the legal requirement for parents' evenings/reports?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by warwickr, Mar 19, 2007.

1. How many reports and/or parentss evenings does your school offer? My daughter's school is thinking of changing their system (reducing it) and I seem to remember their is a legal minimum they should offer or am I imagining it?

2. How many reports and/or parentss evenings does your school offer? My daughter's school is thinking of changing their system (reducing it) and I seem to remember their is a legal minimum they should offer or am I imagining it?

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

1 a year (for a written report) and a parents meeting after the report is issued to parents.

4. Thought so - so 1 meeting a term plus written report would be over and above the minimum.

Thanks

5. Sorry - original post should read "there is a legal minimum". Sorry!

6. My school does 1 parents evening a term and a school report for each child at end of June.

7. But I'm fairly certain the legal minimum is 2 reports to parents (of which at least 1 must be written)?

Although many schools choose to do more...

8. We have a formal parents meeting around October and March time. We write formal reports around June time and then towards the end of the year we have an informal open evening where parents 'drop in' if they wish.

9. We do the same as the previous poster.

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Trinity is correct when she says that the only legal requirements are for one written report annually, and an opportunity for that to be discussed - if it is requested. Thus there is no need for a formal consultation day or evening, only for an opportunity for any parents who request a discussion.

The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005

11. The only legal requirement is one annual report and an opportunity to discuss it. But bah humbug - we;ve got another parents' eveing this week!!!!
    dazza d

12. It's all in the ARA - Have a look!

=:cool:[--{

13. ER - forgive my ignorance but not sure what the ARA is? ;)

14. We do one parents in very early in the year to tell parents how they have settled and for parents to tell us anything important. It is a useful meeting and we do not talk about progress or their work.
    Then we have a progress meeting in the second term and outline what the children should do for the rest of the year. In the last term we do reports and they have an opportunity to discuss if they choose to make an appointment. There is an open afternoon after the reports where the children show the parents their work and almost no parent asks to talk to a teacher.
    This pattern means that the middle parents evening is the detailed one and the first one is very relaxed and it gives you a chance to , amongst other things, weigh the parent up which is very useful when dealing with the child for the year. Often the parents just catch you at the end of the year to say thank you for what you have done with their child.

15. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

http://www.naa.org.uk/

On that link you will find links to the necessary ARAs (Assessment and Reporting Arrangements)

16. Sorry for not being more clear!

LOL, lartz!

=:cool:[--{

17. Does anyone know the legal content/information that must be relayed in reports or at Parents Evening? My school does not share grades/levels/above average/below average ... nothing that is particularly informative (my view) for parents.

I'd like to constructively challenge/change this and let parents know how their children are doing compared to the national average. Do I have any legal/government back up?

18. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There is no requirement to report levels except inY2 and Y6 and to provide a summary of EYFS profile levels.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And that reporting of levels can be written at the end of the year. No requirement at all to share at parents evenings.