1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whats the goss in Glasgow?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, Sep 12, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I've heard that in one Glasgow secondary staffing is down by a third. Another's HT is asking for work to be provided for absentee pupils over and above their regular working day (think I mentioned that earlier). Possible strike action by another, the virus being one of the justifications for it. Masks not being worn by lots of pupils, and too many teachers.

It looks like it's not going to get better any time soon. Soon a teacher will die from contracting the virus at work and I hope those responsible get sued to bvggery.

PamDemic, Corvuscorax20 and sicilypat like this.
  3. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Yes, you're right to be concerned. I'd go further and say it's alarming. The strategy is openly one of hoping for the best. A lot of pupils are not coming in and attendance is down across the city. It's business as usual and from my point of view you wouldn't know there was a pandemic. None of this year bubbles business or attempts at social distancing so far as I can see. Others may have a different experience and I really hope it's been a more positive one than mine.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, director of education Maureen McKenna openly stated in a meeting with parental representatives a couple of weeks ago that she'd been trying to get electronic payments used in schools for the last twelve years. That comment speaks volumes about the dire leadership of education we have in this city, with its use of feel good terms such as 'nurture' and 'empowerment' without actually spelling out what it means in practice. Not much of either at the moment when we're all left so exposed.

bigjimmy2 and sicilypat like this.
  4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

A Director of Education trying to allow electronic payment in schools, eh? Is that what a DoE is for?

And, for 12 years? Reminds me of Einstein saying (something like) stupidity is repeatedly doing the same experiment and expecting different results.

Your right with the nurture and empowerment comments too btw. Utterly meaningless. All pupils need to do at school is shut the fvck up, do what their teacher tells them and then maybe learn a little.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

I recall encountering Maureen McKenna when she worked for the HMIE.

She sat in on one of my classes first thing on a Monday morning and after the lesson did the wee debrief. She said she missed being in the classroom teaching.

Next day our supply teacher did not turn up and so I suggested to Maureen that perhaps it would be a good idea for her to take a cover class, in what was her own subject, to get a real feel of what it was like to teach in our school.

Need I tell you her reply!

6. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Ha ha, good for you!

In a piece of North Korean style propaganda, our Dear Leader was interviewed by BBC Scotland in the first week week of term and described as Director of Education and Maths Teacher. Cue shots of her teaching to joyous young 'uns lapping up her every word. Probably filmed on location in East Ren. Astonishingly, she never seems to have been a headteacher.

https://sceptical.scot/2018/01/seven-reasons-scottish-education-performing/

7. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

As an aside, the wifes pal works for the NHS and was part of the management team who set up the Louisa Jordan hospital at the SECC.

She was also part of a working group to overhaul part of the pharmacy provision in Greater Glasgow & Clyde. The Project was expected to take 2 years but was accelerated just prior to lockdown and took them 3-4 weeks so it just goes to show what can be done if there is a willingness to get it done.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Watching BBC Scotland news this evening, I was shocked that the Glasgow Director of Education seemed to be blaming teachers for not properly self distancing. At first,I thought it was the way it was phrased in the news segment that made it sound as if she was blaming teachers(ie,she meant teachers were not able to self distance) but no,she was actually really blaming teachers! They were the ones who did not keep their distance. Wow!

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

A bit of the Hitler/Stalin/Dennis Nielson/Yorkshire Ripper/Ted Bundy/Peter Manuel about Ms McKenna, I'm afraid.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was really shocked that a Director of Education would say that on record. I really thought I'd misheard or it was the way the newsreader had phrased it in the preamble to the segment

sicilypat and bigjimmy2 like this.
  11. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

bigjimmy2 likes this.