1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the general view...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by laticsbird, Jun 27, 2011.

1. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

...on favouritism in your school.
    Not the students but teachers. Do some get more opportunities than other teachers?
    Just wanted to know how widespread this is and if it actually goes on.
    [​IMG]

2. Of course, some of the kids are little *********s.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes.

4. Ah, realise it says teachers, not kids.

Of course, some of them are little ***********s.

5. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Those staff that sit at the back of meetings tut tutting every initiative tend not to be afforded too many opportunities
    Those staff that are happy to embrace the ethos of the school vision tend to get more opportunities.

Favouritism? No just the school looking for value for money for the teachers they are paying. I bet they didn't tut tut at their interview.

6. Seriously, yes, there is favouritism. Some appear to get to go on more courses, even get more smiles from the SMT members, but who cares? Just got to get on with it and do the best job you can. I fall somewhere in the middle, I'd say. That's life. As with many other things.

7. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Hmmm, thanks for replies so far.
    I find this point very interesting!

8. Thank goodness for the tutters, the sighers, the moaners. Without them schools would be full of sheep, all looking the same. Just because you tut, does not make you a worse teacher. You just need to express your concerns more openly. Not easy when your job's on the line. And also perhaps people resort to tutting because they don't get listened to in other ways.

9. No, our head seems to dislike everyone [​IMG]

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Lord preserve me from being "afforded an opportunity". They tend to be along the lines of hoop jumping for money. I have known serial hoop-jumpers who have not made a jot of real difference despite nodding away when required and taking the pay for not making a jot of difference.
    There is a quote I heard that I have not been able to find (so it may be apocryphal) by Oscar Wilde or Mark Twain maybe, it goes a bit like this:
    "The gift of true sight is often regarded as cynicism by those who have a vested interest in not recognising the true sight of others."
    It sums up so much of what has happened in education over the last couple of decades.

11. Surely some are promoted on merit?
    It is dangerous to tar all with the same brush.

12. Of course. Also some have a penis.
    [​IMG]

13. You mean the ones that will do anything/say anything/be what the Head wants them to be just to be a good little sheep and get a pat on the head?
    I'm a tutter and I'm glad because I can sleep at night knowing that I believe in my profession, stand up for my ideas and protect what little we have left in the way of rigour...
    Oh course there is favouritism...if you are prepared to be a snitch and always agree with the management you will go a long way...

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fast track promotion just because you have a Phd? Endless time off teaching your exam classes to fix faults in the crappy ICT network you introduced? Rarely covering long before it became a contractual term for everybody else? Increasing amounts of non-contact time whilst everyone else is warned of budgetary pressures?

In my last workplace it was called 'SLT'.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

They're mostly the ones who latched onto the same initiatives the first time they were touted around twenty years ago and realised what a complete waste of time they were then.

Those happy to embrace Ethos of the School (or any of the other Three Musketeers for that matter) will eventually realise this, and will be doing all the tut tutting sometime around 2031. You'll see.

16. What - so no women are in leadership positions?
    You jest.

17. zannar

zannar New commenter

Yep -the one who has rays of sunshine beaming out of her behind!
    [​IMG]

18. Crikey, teachers really are an unhappy lot.
    Moan about pensions, moan about work time, moan about those promoted.
    We have several women on this forum in SLT positions.
    Are you going to say they don't deserve to be there?
    Or the men in their SLT positions, for that matter?

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I once went on a course entitled "Women Into Management". On the first day someone was whining about going to an interview and losing out to a male candidate. I said "Isn't it possible he was just better than you?"

No one spoke to me for the next day and a half...[​IMG]

20. Ohhhhhhhhhh, I must PM you....