1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Whats the difference between TA and LSA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by xgracex, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Well I dunno?

  2. Well I dunno?

  3. As far as I am aware the titles are interchangeable.
    I thought we were all known as TAs now with the remodelling and all.
  4. bluebell27

    bluebell27 New commenter

    I would say they are both the same too. Different areas give different titles that's all. When we were employed by the MSG [main stream support group] we were known as learning support assistants. Then as has been said the remodelling [and abolition of MSG funding] saw the title of TA being more widely used.

    Having said that, I am sure there are some schools that still use the two titles.
  5. I have been called both whilst doing the same job

    But, my school and others I know

    TA=General Classroom support/Groups/resources/planning dependant on grade etc etc etc

    LSA=1:1/SEN support for groups etc/ less general TA tasks
  6. I'm called a learning support assistant it is the head's choice to call all ta's this as 'we support the pupil's learning' I was previously a TA I don't think it matters as long as no-one calls me an NTA!!
  7. At our school, we are LSA's and this was picked up on our recent Ofsted inspection. The inspector actually recommended to our headteacher that we be referred to as TA's as we teach programmes to groups etc as well as supporting individual children.
  8. All TAs in my authority, LSAs don't exist, they're a bit slow here you know. still getting us to wash all the paint pots up and do all the teachers photocopying......(only joking).
  9. Whats the difference between TA and LSA?

    Sounds like the start of a joke..

    err... just need a punchline now!
  10. What, like.....about £2 an hour?
  11. At our school there are LSA's: those who support children 1 to 1 in the classroom. LSP's: General classroom assistants TA's: those who do focused group work + intervention work.
  12. Where I used to work TA's are general teaching assistants where as LSA's work with SEN children on an individual basis. Where I'm going next all support staff in the classroom are LSA's.
  13. down here all teaching assistants are called LSA's regardless on if they are 1:1 or whole class
  14. Belle60_3

    Belle60_3 New commenter

    About 2.5K in some academies. LSA is deemed to be lower on payscale and responsibilities than a TA in these parts
  15. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    All TAs in our LA - have been for several years now. 1-1s are Specialist SEN TAs. Think TA is the preferred Ofsted-speak these days!
  16. Ophelia 9

    Ophelia 9 New commenter

    I'm fascinated as to why someone has responded to a question asked seven and a half years ago - suspect the original poster has long since left the forum (although, of course, some of us have been hanging around here for longer than that but at least we still post sometimes!)

Share This Page