1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the difference between a Head of Department and Subject Leader?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Geography_teacher, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Anyone got any ideas?

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Nothing usually, but when the TLRs came in some schools felt that they needed to changet he job title.

3. I am Subject Leader for Geography and Curriculum Leader for Humanities. In my school each individual GCSE subject has a subject leader and has curriculum leaders for larger areas of the curriculum e.g. MFL, English, Maths, Science, DT, PE etc. The main difference is that CLs are line managers to several members of staff and have Performance Management reviewer responsibilities. The title HoD can mean anything with a curriculum leadership responsibility really and has been replaced in many schools.
    Hope this helps!

4. It's quite simple in our school, although I'm sure it varies between schools. The Head of Department leads the subject, but the department may be sub-divided with some Subject Leaders. For example, Head of Humanities has overall responsibility but there's also Subject Leaders for History, RE and Citizenship within the department (the HoD leads Geography).

5. Well said, but please don't assume that we HoDs ignore all new ideas like some SLT think we do. We only ignore the daft ones. In fact, many HoDs end up explaining the good new ideas to the SLT.

6. Main difference money. Subject leaders do it for love - we only have TLRs for management roles outside teaching, and that's whether you are SL for Literacy, Numeracy ICT or the newly revamped Science

7. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

The main difference is the spelling I think

8. I see the roles as follows:
    Subject Leader manages the subject:
    Ensuring staff are trained; resources are supportive, up to date, and appropriate; and managing the budget. They should have sufficient expertise to monitor the progress of learners with AfL support and advise where relevant. The Subject Leader is not necessarily a middle manager post.

Head of Department manages the subject <u>and</u> the people who deliver the subject:
    All that the Subject Leader is expected to do plus managing the people in their department. eg. leading meetings, encouraging team decisions and cohesion, etc. This is, at least, a middle-management position.

When Subject Leadership became the 'buzz' term, the above distinction between roles was given to us.

9. We have officially abandoned the term HoD and replaced it first with Curriculum Manager and more recently with Curriculum Leader. Subject Leaders lead on a particular subject within the Curriculum Area. For example, there is a CL for Social Sciences and then there is a SL for Sociology, which is a popular subject. The switch to 'leader' rather than 'manager' was I think mainly prompted by the notion that 'leading' is better than 'managing'. I still refer to myself as Head of Department and introduce myself as such to the students.