1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the biggest challenge for head teachers?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by SoniaGill1, May 11, 2011.

1. People keep telling me a range of things. Having been keeping up with discussions on this forum I thought this would be a good place to ask. What is it for you guys?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can't see how it can be anything other than ensuring you keep your job by meeting ever-demanding targets.

3. and attempting to keep up with the change agenda(s) so popular with politicians of all parties as they use their expertise to make education better......

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Surely you mean 'expertise', Thrupp? Possibly with *cough* added?

5. Quite right, my spilling is atrootious...Cough, more like *asphyxiation*....

6. Well that's a more honest answer than I usually get so thank you and with the bonus of better banter!
    What else?

7. Could you ask people to respond using one chosen word? Although, maybe two gives a chance to add a choice adjective! I can think of many but don't want to be inappropriate if I've misread your intent. When asked such questions responses can sound disingenuous/ cheesy.

8. Hi Transilvanian, one word answers are a good idea but I'm happy to go with what ever people are most comfortable using. Essentially I'm interested in what head's are finding their biggest challenge in their role, personally and/or in their school. I hope that clarifies my question, if not do let me know.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Bloody parents

10. Bloody teachers too ;)

11. Reassuringly it's not the children :)
    The short answers are great, thanks! I wondered if you could give me bit more detail? What exactly makes parents and teachers the biggest challenge? Time drain? Getting them to support plans? Performance? I realise these will not be the only answers. If you prefer you can email me or post it up here.
    Many thanks :)

12. One of my challenges which other Heads may have a cure for is tiredness. I know tiredness isn't supposed to have a cumulative effect but it feels like it some weeks. As the Head you have to/ feel obliged to attend PTA at 8.30pm one night, governors the next at 7pm, staff social the next, twilight another, some open community event, an open evening and that's all this week. As well as getting in early and being on duty at lunchtime I'm pooped. This isn't a martyr statement. It is genuinely exhausting. Some weeks aren't as bad but when you get unexpected events on top of this eg child p or boiler breaking the day isn't long enough. A rigid smile emerges and a fixed possibly glazed look! So, having enough stamina is a real challenge.

13. Governors who haven't got a clue about education and use the role to boost their sorry egos