1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whats the best way to cast?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by catnipbon, Feb 5, 2012.

1. catnipbon

catnipbon New commenter

I have 10 in my GCSE class. I am going to do 2 plays for unit 3, 5 in each. I am interested in some advice regarding casting the plays (I'm not going down the devising route). Should I put my top 5 in one group an the rest in another group, or mix them up? I know the benefits of both, but I'm tempted to have one excellent play and one average play. Thoughts?

2. Personally I would mix them up. I only put all the unreliable, disruptive ones together as a damage control measure as I am sick of parents moaning at me one is ruining the group etc etc.

3. I mix them up. I have tried doing it based on ability before and I don't find that the most able do any better than they would do in a mixed group, but I do find that the middle ability suffer a lot. Last year a couple got As and A*so on practical who I never would have expected, but they were just pulled up by others in the group. I tend to try and put an A*, A, B, C, D, etc in each group. I don't usually have more than one or two who are absent a lot and I try and split those up.

4. catnipbon

catnipbon New commenter

Thanks, mix up it is then!