1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best way of finding a job in a public school?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by SEBREGIS, Jul 10, 2017.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

I do see such jobs advertised in the TES, but I was wondering if there was another route in?

install likes this.
  2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Established commenter

@SEBREGIS I think TES is probably still the best thing to keep your eye on. Some people sign up with eteach online and have found that helpful.
    You could try sending in your c.v. with a brief covering letter - hard copy, snail mail rather than email (or follow one with the other) - even better if you can find the name of who to address this to. Once upon a time you could end up with an interview/job this way (it happened to me once) but I think the chances are slimmer now. Still, nothing ventured...

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It is a VERY quiet time at the moment for independent school posts.
    Currently, within 30 miles of my home, there are zero prep or preprep posts of any kind and just eight independent senior posts, 3 of which are teaching.
    This is normal for this time of year, so worry not.

TES is the main way to find a post though.

willcott and ViolaClef like this.
  4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Independent schools may have vacancies on their websites, worth just flicking through the schools individually if you are only looking locally. Or try the corporate websites of independent school chains. But I expect these would be on TES also.

While many maintained schools don't use TES and prefer to use local authority websites, it would be rare for independent schools to have access to these.

5. bflat

bflat New commenter

Have worked in three independent schools, (only one of which I would class as a 'public' school) and they've all been advertised in the TES.

6. willcott

willcott New commenter

Good advice from @ViolaClef and @caterpillartobutterfly.

TES very much the first and best place to look but this is an extremely quiet time of year. Not least since most (all?) public schools have broken up for the summer.

7. install

install Star commenter

Gotta be the TES for the best option in my opinion ;)

Sometimes you might hear by word of mouth to give the heads up too...

8. 8sycamore

8sycamore New commenter

Please be wary. They aren't all beds of roses. They probably won't recognise collective agreements and they might exploit you. Yes, the students can be easier to teach as they are more compliant, but there's always a trade off