1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best way of dealing with a staff member

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bejust, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know what is the best way of dealing with a staff member who constantly gets into small disagreement with others. Sometimes she may seem rude/annoyed in her facial expressions and speech. This leads to upset staff who in turn turn to head. It so happens to always be the same person who annoys staff. What strategies do experienced heads use?

2. Why do people on this HT thread talk to each other publicly in an attempt to 'gang up' on a poster? That's as embarrassing as having to ask the initial question. Seriously, use some common sense - have a quiet word.

Here's that apostrophe '

3. Thank you Zeus-ish, I have had words with the person (kind words) and have tried guiding them for the last 2 years but this is the third year and it has started again...early.

Bluetail I have no problem with asking questions no matter how embarrassing, as we live and we learn. Though this is only my third post here on TES and I haven't observed your other posts, your attitude really needs working on and that is what should be embarrassing.

4. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked...

5. It's all very well saying 'have a quiet word' but in the case of facial expressions/tone you really need to have actually been there to do that.
    When we had a spate of eye rolling etc in staff meetings I asked them very politely and directly whether there was a problem and if they wanted to contribute. In the case of rudeness to others, when I could catch it - I followed up with a 'are you ok? conversation. Going in with a concern rather than an accusation. They were actually horrified that they were coming across as rudely as they were.

6. Bluetail, you really don´t need to go on the offensive.
    If you are not prepared to give helpful advice to someone then please don´t take up the role of forum police officer - just don´t reply at all. That in itself would have been more helpful than your snide remark.
    Oh, and if that sounds like ganging up on you ...you brought it on yourself. I am sure you and I would be having a serious conversation about your attitude if you worked in my school.
    To try to help the OP - it can be very difficult with this low level , constant negativity from a member of staff. I would suggest a conversation in private and let her know that you are concerned about her perceived negativity , and mention the previous conversations you have had with her. Depending on how she replies and how the conversation goes, you can either come to an amicable agreement/understanding that she will make an attempt to be less negative or you tell her she must change her attitude. After all, you are her boss and you need to let her know that you are looking out for the common and collective welfare of all the staff.

7. I've got a member of staff whose facial expressions immediately give away if they disagree. If they do it in a staff netting, I've taken to cheerily saying "X you look like you have some misgivings about this? What are you thinking?" They either tell you what they are thinking in which case you can reason with them or they pipe down!

8. It's satisfying watching them panic slightly isn't it!
    [​IMG]

9. Tisnearlyfridaymethinks

Tisnearlyfridaymethinks New commenter

X you look like you have some misgivings about this? What are you thinking?
    I used this at a Govs meeting tonight......genius![​IMG] Squirm central.

10. I agree it would be quite wrong to ignore body language and not to ask about any misgivings wouldn't it?