1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the Best Gig You've Ever Seen ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Oct 22, 2018.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Although I saw Queen at Wembley in 1986 and the Wall at Earls Court a few years later I think the best gig I've seen was John Martyn on a snowy night at Bradford University in 1982. Most of his band didn't make it so he had his bass player and a drum machine that he'd borrowed from somewhere. He also had his amazing home made guitar and box of tricks.

He was in a foul mood (as usual) but after a couple of numbers realized he had an audience who just wanted to see him play. He played a lot of acoustic tracks and several of his classic songs (Dealer, Big Muff etc) on his amazing guitar.

It was just a great night - anyone who was there probably still remembers it.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Santana at Wembley Stadium - sometime in 1978.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have seen R.E.M. quite a few times..... twice in small venues (Hammersmith and Dublin's Olympia) though it is hard to beat the first time I could actually see them clearly which was at Stirling Castle with the Highlands as a backdrop. Did manage to stroke Michael Stipe's arm at Manchester Move gig where I stood at the front from 3pm til after 10...... (yes I did do that !)
    I do have to admit that I cried when on his recent Pet Sounds tour Brian Wilson performed "God Only Knows" - it is on my funeral play list.....
    You also have to go a long way to beat seeing Kate Bush live at Hammersmith in her first concerts in 20+ years - had a brain haemorrhage after that hectic weekend in London which made the concert even more memorable.
    Add to those seeing Keith Moon drumming with The Who circa 1971 at Liverpool Uni plus Led Zep at the same venue......I feel I have been very blessed to see the concerts I have seen and as you can see selecting one is nigh impossible.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Were they supporting Dylan as we saw that concert in the 70s sometime?

5. BertieBassett2

No they were the top bill - I have no idea who the support act was.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I saw REM at Glastonbury !

HelenREMfan likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Queen for me, although I'd be hard pushed to say which concert, possibly live killers tour around '79.
    Led Zeppelin at Knebworth.

But I also have fond memories of Chris de Burgh acoustic tour. .Just him a guitar and a piano.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I saw Marillion only a few months ago in Cambridge - that was a great gig.

I'm going to see Steve Hackett next month - looking forward to that too.

MAGAorMIGA and HelenREMfan like this.
  9. BertieBassett2

[QUOTE="peakster, post: 12642832, member: 3984460"

I'm going to see Steve Hackett next month - looking forward to that too.[/QUOTE]
    I remember seeing Steve Hackett - probably 1978/9 and someone in the crowd held aloft a banner proclaiming 'Steve Hackett is God'. Hmm.

nomad likes this.
  10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

I saw Michael Jackson at Wembley Stadium during his Bad tour, late 80s. I was a kid and it was wonderful.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've seen Steve a number of times - he can't sing to save his life (especially now) but he's a wonderful guitarist.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

David Bowie’s Serious Moonlight Tour at the Perth (Australia) Entertainment Centre 1983

Went to the booking office on the off chance and got just cancelled tickets in a great spot.

nomad likes this.
  13. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

The Police 2007 @ Cardiff Millenium Stadium. No support act, but the three of them on stage for 2 hours. Fantastic musicianship.

The Specials 1980 @ Roundhouse London. Raw energy. Loved it. Still my favourite band (shame there’s only 3 original members left nowadays).

nomad likes this.
  14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Renaissance. Hammersmith, circa 1978

nomad likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I saw Bowie at the Empire Pool in 1976???

He had just shed his Ziggy Stardust image and was wearing his dad's old demob suit as he went for the Thin White Duke thing.

So much for the idiots who turned up in their Ziggy Stardust outfits at the concert. :D

smoothnewt and colpee like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I saw Bowie in Canada on the Glass Spider Tour

It wasn't very good - open air gig - no atmosphere.

nomad likes this.
  17. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Even better, I didn't bump into Morrissey at the gig.

artboyusa and Scintillant like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Fugazi probably. Always super intense.

Oasis at Maine Road was pretty fine too
    I'm in there somewhere

vannie and NoseyMatronType like this.
  19. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

I saw Santana supporting Dylan at Wembley in 1984. I'd gone with my little brother who was about 17 at the time. It was unbelievably hot and he became quite unwell (a mixture of too much sun and not enough water). We left before the encore as I was worried about him. Later I read that Chrissie Hynde, Eric Clapton and sundry others had appeared for the encore. I still haven't quite forgiven him.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Robert Fripp and the League of Gentlemen, Paradise Theatre, Boston, 1980.