1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best career move?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by stupid fool, Nov 20, 2011.

1. stupid fool

stupid fool New commenter

Thanks S I P, for taking the time to reply
    I know that NPQH is no preparation for Headship having started it before way back in the far distant past. It is the 11years of teaching and the 4 very different schools that have given me the knowledge and skills that I need, however it is still that massive hoop to jump through to become a HT.

2. Would your Head release you to apply for acting Headship roles? You don't need NPQH to do that and surely that would get you a place on the useless but necessary NPQH? A good trial for you in the top spot! If you could travel a bit for two terms (usually that long) there are more acting posts out there, often advertised on county websites. You can ask your LEA, if it still exists, to consider you if a school needs a Head suddenly.

3. jellandy

jellandy New commenter

Ditto with other posts - I have a larger school and 2 Assistant Heads rather than a deputy - it's the experience that counts. Unsuccessful NPQH application was most likely due to finite numbers and capped prior to review..... Keep building on your experiences and discuss Acting Head opportunities with your Head and LA.

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I am just coming to the end of my NPQH. My cohort are a mix of acting heads, DHT, AHTs etc. I am none of the above, being a senior teacher in a tiny village school. With your level of experience it sounds like you would be a strong candidate, but, as with all things, it often comes down to how you write it up. The best advice I was given was not to be modest in the paperwork. We all know that teaching and leading schools is a team effort, but i'm afraid , to succeed in this game you have to cheekily take credit for the lot and offer a few drinks to your esteemed colleagues and hope they give you good feedback for your 360. Good luck, and persevere.