1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's the absolute worst holiday you've ever had

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jan 26, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think for me it was a week in Keswick about 5 years ago. Normally I love the lakes but the entire week was just a continuous cloudburst. We arrived in torrential rain and it continued in much the same vein every day. We trudged into Keswick a couple of times and did some touring round by car but the Lake District is for walking and when it's bucketing down it's not much fun. We still did some walking but got soaked every day.

We left a day early in the end - we haven't been back to the lakes since.

caress, emerald52, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My last family holiday with Mum and Dad and my mercurial sister was in Oban in Scotland - it rained most of the time there as well.

emerald52, Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Going to the Lakes was also my worst ever holiday. We went in July (about 15 years ago) instead of going to France and never ever again! It rained and rained for most of the week. We lived in the north east of Scotland,so rain is not a new thing but we've never seen rain like it. We were drenched just from going from the car to a coffee shop!
    The weather got better the last few days but I would not bother ever going back. We also seriously considered going back home early.

Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

A night in Leicester as part of of a trip to Stratford upon Avon and Warwick was underwhelming. We stayed in a budget hotel full of of contractors who were based there while working, and who smoked dubious substances, drank and partied in the car park at the front.

I knew we'd booked too long a stay in Skiathos when one of the highlights suggested by the holiday rep was to sit in a taverna by the runway to watch the planes take off and land....

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A Club 18-30 holiday back in the early 80’s. We didn’t fly but instead travelled by coach and it went downhill from there.

needabreak, Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I always thought the 18-30 referred to the IQ you had to have to go on one of those holidays.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We took the kids to Normandy at half term when the elder was studying The Normans at school. The crossing was so rough we couldn't dock in Calais, and were in a queue to dock in Zeebrugge. MrA ended up having to drive from Zeebrugge to Rouen through the night and the slashing rain. We were shattered when we got to the hotel so that was Day 1 written off. The next day was OK. The day after, I misread the map and got us the wrong way on a dual carriageway from which there was no escape for 40 miles. Then 40 back. The evening meal was disappointing. The following day an attraction we intended to see was shut due to flooding. Then we got the ferry back.
    Hellish.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Lakes here too I’m afraid. It’s the only holiday we’ve ever just given up on and returned home early from. The bad weather made it impossible to enjoy any activity.

catmother and BertieBassett2 like this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Margate in the 80's... Cliftonville to be precise... hideous!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do remember a school skiing trip in Austria - the whole week was a catalogue of accidents and incidents - culminating in most of us getting food poisoning two days before we were due to leave and spending most of that time in bed.

needabreak, Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's not all bad when it rains - we went on a Geology field trip to Scotland - although it rained a lot we really enjoyed ourselves in the evenings and there were loads of animals and birds around.

Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I have to say I've never really had a bad holiday but if I had to choose it would be three weeks camping in the South of France in 1978. It sounds mean to complain as the scenery and beaches were beautiful, but it was let down by the appalling standards of French camp sites. At one, the 'shower' consisted of a hose pipe...
    It was my one and only camping experience - even when young I liked my home comforts and still shudder when I recall the facilities on offer, which were at odds with the surroundings.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It was rain that ruined it for us too. We spent a week in a dog-friendly castle in Wales. It was July. We spent the week in a cloud. The sun emerged for one day. That was the day the tyre exploded and we spent several hours waiting outside Kwikfit. Most pubs would not let us take the dogs inside and it was too wet to sit outside. No wonder the tyre burst. We drove around a lot.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

A week in Silloth. The car broke down on the way, necessitating several trips to Workington during the week, it rained throughout and the children moaned non stop. Never again ( although what I was thinking about in the first place I honestly have no idea:oops:)

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The one where my baby son was critically ill. That was no fun at all. Being taken back to our home town in a slow and ancient ambulance in the middle of the night, because that's where the children's hospital was who knew his history. Then an emergency operation in the middle of the night followed by a week's stay in hospital. It did cast something of a pall over that particular holiday. He's a strapping thirty year old now so it all ended well but was far and away my worst holiday!.

Jesmond12 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  16. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Athens in June 2004. The hotel was hideous, the band we'd gone to see had split up the day before we flew out, everything interesting was shut and being polished for the up-and-coming Olympics.

caress and BertieBassett2 like this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

West Wales about four years ago. We rented a cottage near Tregaron for a week with friends hoping to enjoy some great walking on the coast and the Cambrian mountains . It hammered down with rain for the whole week. On the day the sun did come out for a bit we went for a walk in the hills and had to abandon it as we were eaten alive by midges.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I used to work as rep on a coach taking people on these types of holidays to the Costa Brava in the late 80s. We made good money on currency exchange rip off and over charging group meals at service stations, all encouraged by the bosses who paid us so little. We called it the vomit bus as so many people used to get so ****** on the ferry crossings. So British. I didn't stick it for long. I wonder if you were one of our victims?

Jesmond12 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The moral of this thread is the reason there's not likely to be a reduction in holiday flights anytime soon.

burajda, BertieBassett2 and catmother like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Scotland - went with a group of friends. It rained and rained. We had booked a big house for all of us together - and we all fell out.

It wasn't Scotlsnd. It was deciding to go away with mates that ruined it.

burajda and BertieBassett2 like this.