1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's so exclusive about this, then?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Feb 9, 2016.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

"Our pioneering and exclusive use of water based cooking, where food is not heated above 100°c, means that food is broken down gently ensuring maximum nutrient bioavailability and better assimilation. This also means we avoid the harmful carcinogens formed by frying, baking, roasting, grilling or browning."

This is from the website and also front-of-house blackboard of a central London vegan restaurant.

Call me stupid but this is how I've been cooking spuds for years.

Sillow likes this.
  2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

It's not how you bake bread though. What does this place serve? Simmered doughballs? You can't even steam (though I bet they do) because steam can get hotter than 100C.

And yes, you avoid Maillard browning but at the expense of 90% of the flavour. Remind me never to eat there. Who ever saw a healthy-looking vegan?

colpee and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Is this Tibits in Heddon Street?

If it is, it's lovely actually. Wouldn't normally choose vegetarian food, but I was taken there by a friend and it's very very good.

Added bonus: it's in the location on the cover of the Hunky Dory album!

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Bread??????????? Gluten????????? You must be joking! Wash your mouth out, xena.

There are many people with ethical reasons for embracing veganism. This joint seems to be catering for nutritional hypochondriacs.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

GL, it's not the restaurant you name.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Exclusive means they don't roast, grill or fry.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes, I realise that. But it's hardly pioneering, is it? Apart from our weekly chips on Fridays, I grew up with boiled (ie brought to the boil and then simmered) vegetables. My parents had to drink the cabbage water, too!

I suppose I'm just moping because I hate the way eating has become either self-abuse or salvation on a plate. There's something rather narcissistic about demanding 'optimum nutrition' from every mouthful.

Middlemarch likes this.
  8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Unscientific garbage...................like the food must taste!

9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Talk about spin!

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Water based, eh? Bioavailability, eh? Assimilation, eh?

So you boil it. Then you eat it. Then you digest it. Sounds complicated!

Middlemarch likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes - the new 'uniqueness' is to have a story that makes people feel they are being specially treated. Lots of celebrity attracting places spiel it nowadays for mundane things.

Btw , the restuarant is Vantra Viteo.

P.s. I wonder why they accept cash only - are vegans untrustworthy?

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Too true. Too much like offerings for the altar.

14. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Is it in Hoxton?

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

No. Its in the naff end of Oxford Street.