1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Oman like?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ClarePhelan, May 8, 2012.

1. Am thinking ( still pondering! ) of applying for an English teaching job in Oman.
    What's it like ? At this moment in time, I know very little about the place itself .
    Thanking you in advance

2. I looked at Oman, it's got good reviews here and definitely a popular place to relocate. It seemed like a nice place to live and the mountains look beautiful. But there wasn't a lot of jobs advertised here this year and I imagine they would have got a lot of applicants. It's been a tough job market this year.

3. Thanks Jeneni.
    Its beautiful...nature-wise. Is it very quiet there socially? Schools mightn't be too bad to work in though ?

4. I've heard it's very family orientated. Not much nightlife, but good for outdoor stuff like scuba diving - I'm hoping to try diving here when I move to Qatar. There's a good British school in Muscat with an obvious name.

5. So the semi-dilemma is :
    --Dubai is closed shop, job-wise at this stage
    --I take my profession seriously
    --am single, female, 36 yrs.
    --Want a social life after a week's work
    Where do I go ...???

6. Go for Oman! I have sent you a private message.

7. I just replied in your other thread, but just go with whatever jobs come up and don't limit yourself to the Middle East. One of the exciting things about moving on overseas is not knowing where you'll be going. Just check out each country as the ads come out and see whether you could live there. There are so many great places in the world.