1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whats next

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by boobette, Dec 26, 2015.

1. boobette

boobette New commenter

I qualified as an Art teacher over 11 years ago.

I secured a job in a challenging school and unfortunately whilst I was in my NQT year I suffered a significant loss and needed to take time out of work to grieve. The school I was at was unfortunately not very understanding and made it very difficult for me whilst I was off and indeed when I returned.

This experience left me feeling very despondent with teaching. I did get back to applying for jobs but, each time I have gone for a job as a teacher I have been given the usual 'You have been out of a classroom for too long' speech.

I have been working within adult social care for 8 years with adults who have challenging behaviours and learning disabilities. I do have family I need to support so the obvious taking time out to volunteer in a school is near on impossible.

What can I do? Can I retrain as an SEN teacher somehow or can someone please explain how teaching assistant pay is calculated?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, I am so sorry that you had a difficult time in your NQT year!

Yes, I can understand their point of view, I'm afraid. An additional problem is that Art posts do not come up often, and when they do, a school might prefer not only somebody who has recent relevant experience but is also a practising artist, keeping their skills up and showing a passion for artistic expression.

I know that I was always delighted when an applicant produced a portfolio of their own work, as well as samples of student work too.

As you already hold QTS, there is no starting again. There may be suitable courses, but that might involve giving up your job to do them. Why not go to the SEN Forum and ask people there, they are the ones most likely to know.

Here you are:

Should I become a TA? This explains how it works.

P.S. I am assuming that you completed successfully your NQT year. Did you?

Best wishes for 2016

3. boobette

boobette New commenter

Although I was at the school for a year I only completed 1 term on my NQT year. Thank you for your help I will ask about SEN over on that board. Really appreciate your advice.