1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's missing?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Susanne12345, May 19, 2019.

1. Susanne12345

Susanne12345 New commenter

I work in an international school in the ME. I've been here 2 years as a classroom teacher but was a successful Head of Year in the UK in a "good school" and have basically been bored as a classroom teacher where 100% of the focus in my school is academic- there's some serious fudging of exam entries to get the elusive 100% A*-C (or 9-5 now).

BUT I have recently applied for a number of internal pastoral jobs. The Head of Sixth was given to a colleague who had been there longer (school's feedback to me, literally) and the Head of Year job also given to another colleague who terrifies the kids. Feedback: be patient, another role will come up, we see you as a leader and you interviewed really well. I was encouraged to apply for the Head of Year job by the Head of Senior School. For both roles I had more experience and was better qualified than the person who was promoted.

I'm just a bit baffled- am I missing something here?

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think they’ve been clear as day with you....., far clearer than a British school would be..... mainly because of their lack of necessity of employment legislation.

Maybe their values and yours are different? MAybe time for a move?

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

To add. This school clearly values Old school values.... time served, scaring the kids.

I see nothing wrong with that. Even if I don’t necessarily agree with them all of the time.Maybe your version of pastoral care is the more encompassing ‘supporting child wellbeing’ that you’ve learned in Britain. Their idea may be the old school ‘behaviour, behaviour, behaviour’ especially as, as you say, the focus is 100% academic

They clearly rate you, but what you think is important in these jobs may not really correlate with the schools values..... this is why I’d maybe consider options if it bothers you waiting....

From what you’ve posted, I just don’t see how this school and you are a good match.....

Last edited: May 19, 2019