1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's missing from English lessons?

Discussion in 'English' started by fineliner, Feb 17, 2012.

1. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Which aspects of the English curriculum have been neglected in recent years?

Literacy Across the Curriculum is making a come back under the new Ofsted framework; there has been a spot-light recently on speaking and listening; the National Strategies have flogged reading and writing and there has been much work on teaching and learning strategies.

Am I the only one wondering if that just leaves creativity within our subject or am I just showing my age?

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Probably not. When I started teaching, back in The Dark Ages, it was all about creativity. Never mind spelling, grammar or punctuation, everyone must express themselves!

3. Am I showing my age in believing that you need solid spelling, grammar and punctuation in order to express yourself? Good ideas are useless if you can't communicate them.

4. Creativity is a cornerstone of the current National Curriculum. Pity we haven't spent more time looking at what is statutory and less time on non-statutory boll ocks - like APP. When I started teaching about 20 years ago, creativity was still prized but I also worked in a school that had the foresight to realise that SPG were essential across the curriculum. You can have both without creating a dull and uninspiring curriculum. I've also come to realise that I will carry on doing what I know is right and what I know works. Anything new, I will look at and evaluate and work out how it fits my pedagogy and then adapt and adopt what is necessary to improve my teaching. I will not just adopt anything new because the government thinks I should.