1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's missing at KS3, 4 or 5?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Aug 12, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Dear All
    I was just wondering whether there was a secondary resource that the community would like to see produced that hasn't been done before or done very well elsewhere. I'm looking to create something for the community over the next couple of weeks, if anyone has got an idea that they would like to see. My thoughts at the moment is a workbooklet with new style AO2/AO3 questions that people could use. But I just wondered what others thought.
    What I produce I will upload to the TES resources, but I just wanted to know what others felt was missing. I'm not promising something amazing, but I will do my best. I will adjust it based on others contributions if necessary.
    Let me know.

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

Dear All
    I was just wondering whether there was a secondary resource that the community would like to see produced that hasn't been done before or done very well elsewhere. I'm looking to create something for the community over the next couple of weeks, if anyone has got an idea that they would like to see. My thoughts at the moment is a workbooklet with new style AO2/AO3 questions that people could use. But I just wondered what others thought.
    What I produce I will upload to the TES resources, but I just wanted to know what others felt was missing. I'm not promising something amazing, but I will do my best. I will adjust it based on others contributions if necessary.
    Let me know.

3. A couple of holiday projects I won't get 'round to this summer include "homework packs" for KS3. My idea is a bit like the primary school book bags. The year group has a focus, (eg "times tables" for the first half term of year 7) and students and parents are offered a resource pack for a token fee. The ideas is that the resources encourage parent-student involvement and provide a mix of activities, worksheets, suggested websites to appeal to different students. We'd probably kick it off with a post-teatime session too, in the style of a pub quiz but each team composed of parents and students. Another thing I need to do is organise some Summer Holiday work for years 9, 10 and 12 to keep them ticking-over. I suspect this isn't quite what you're after but it might spark something off.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have a suggestion that came up on an online course that I went on for the changes to GCSE.
    It was to help students learn to cope with questions without scaffolding. E.g. a rectangle with sides given in terms of x and the perimeter given. Instead of the usual steps the new question may just ask for the length of the longest side.
    The suggestion was to provide the steps:
    • write an expression in terms of x for the perimeter
    • write an equation for x
    • solve the equation to find x
    • find the length of the longest side
    but to give them out of order so encourage students to think about what they need to do and how to start. This could work well with functional questions too.
    I would be very grateful for a resources along those lines that I could use (and this way I could get the resource and still paint my kitchen!)

5. pencho

pencho New commenter

Bombay
    Fits in with my problem solving resource etc.... I have put up an example problem solving card. Here is a link to it https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Example-Problem-Card-6108307/
    I could easily create 20 or so of these for Number, Algebra, Measure and Stats.
    Let me know what people think. I envisage students working in pairs on the problems wiritng their solutions in the My Solution area. Just my initial thoughts.
    Ideas welcome.

6. DM

DM New commenter

I like the presentation. I would say "set this equal to ..." rather than "put this equal to ...".

7. That looks good - thank you for putting it into resources

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That looks excellent pencho. The presentation is very professional.
    One suggestion would be to put the help in a different order to increase the level of challenge. Perhaps you could do 2 of each card - one in order, one out of order to allow differentiation.
    More please!

9. Great resource Pencho and beautifully produced.

10. pencho

pencho New commenter

Thanks for the comments.
    I'll knock the algebra ones up tomorrow. The template is set up now and it's just a case of pasting the problems and setting up the hints. I like Bombay's idea.
    DM reason I used put was because I think it makes more sense to students (if they were attempting this on their own). I take your point though.
    Cheers

11. Just wanted to say that this looks fantastic - a great resource.

12. A great-looking resource with lots of potential - thank you for sharing!
    On the differentiation front, could there be just a list of prompts eg. just use the headings "highlight key words", "form an equation". Students could then choose from a generic list to fit a particular problem.

13. The quality of presentation is very professional! For my part, would it be possible to have a version without the hints? They're are something I like to have on the board and then around the room and eventually have the kids weaned off completely.
    Thank you for sharing.

14. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I'd love CGP style revision workbooks (and prices!) geared towards the different tiers of Common Entrance at 13+!!!!! Quite specific though and probably not for the mainstream! Should suggest it to CGP!