1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What’s it like working in an academy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year1109, Jun 8, 2019.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I have seen a job advertised for a primary school under an academy. Is there any difference between an academy primary school and a school under local authority governance?

2. WB

WB New commenter

My school converted a few years ago.

Nothing has changed.

There's a lot said about academies on these boards. In my opinion it's all about the head. My head was a nice guy before we changed;he's a nice guy now.

If the head is bully, my thinking is he/she will be more drawn to an academy.

caterpillartobutterfly and Pomza like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Impossible to generalise really. Not all academies are bad places to work, nor are all LA schools good places. Better to ask around locally for teachers with experience of the specific school and ask them.

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have worked in both and the pay in the academy was a fair bit lower as they didn't pay what is recommended by the Unions.

BetterNow and DexterDexter like this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I worked for one academy which I didn't like - data driven and children were the last thought.

I work for one now who is 100% about the children and is constantly supporting schools to do better (genuine support not cracking the whip) and this has been recognised as one of the best MATs in the country - for good reason.

Each is different but this is also true for LA schools as well.

There is more CPD in academies which is really important to me so personally, I would stick with mine until retirement if poss.

Pomza and DexterDexter like this.
  6. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

All different, however... in my part of Little Britain, the academies are grouping together and forming trusts as big as the LEAs. They are developing a robotic business outlook: making their own pay scale (12 points not 6- you can go up the equivalent of half a pay point each year if you’re v lucky), giving out probationary contracts (get rid of you with 1week’s notice after 6 months) and the CEOs get paid £150,000 plus (whilst making teachers & support staff redundant. Google “End of year financial report” for your chosen academy/trust for eye-watering salary details).
    A sad world.

I didn’t realise how much large academy trusts made me sad until I wrote this!

1 person likes this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Whilst the rate of MAT CEOs can appear very high, it is relative to existing pay structure of school senior leaders.

It is normal for the HT of an average-sized school to earn 80-90k (often more for larger schools), so it stands to reason that somebody who is effectively the head of 15 or so schools (for example) is going to earn more...

8. DexterDexter

Ahhh, you’ve not come across the 2 school academy trusts where there are full time heads for both schools and a CEO that gets paid £150,000 when they spend most of their time abroad or working on their own consultancy business?!

The Prime Minister “only” gets £150,402!
    Do you really think these school salaries can be justified?

Check this out
    https://www.tes.com/news/revealed-academy-trusts-paying-ps150k-salaries

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

If I am reading this article correctly, it states that only 4.1% of trusts employ anybody on a salary of over 150k? (At least as of 2017.) Maybe CEO pay isn't generally as high as suggested in some quarters...

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

One of the trusts mentioned is currently advertising for a CEO on half the salary of the previous incumbent who has recently "retired" Perhaps pay for CEO's is coming down:D

11. DexterDexter

It also mentions schools paying £100,00 salaries. I wish I earned close to that so I didn’t think this was an issue at all :oops:

I wonder what TAs think of this. They seem to be the ones who work the hardest for the least amount of pay :eek: or those whose contracts won’t be renewed due to “budget cuts”:eek: or the students who don’t have appropriate books or equipment:eek:

12. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It's awful!! Never again.