1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's it like teaching in England right now?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by kirby42, Mar 23, 2019.

1. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

I have a background in EAL and lived abroad for a few years doing TEFL. Currently studying to be a fully fledged English teacher in Ireland. I had hoped to get back out abroad again working in the EAL department of an international school, but I lucked out in applications and interviews to my great disappointment. I'm thinking I'll need to garner more experience first before I get my ideal job.

Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs in Ireland with the norm for most young teachers being to initially go for sub work or maternity covers. I've been thinking about making the jump over to England, perhaps London or Manchester, to complete my NQT year ASAP.

But from what I've been reading and hearing in the past year... England is not a good place to be a teacher at the moment. Thoughts?

patternandsurface and pepper5 like this.
  2. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

I would agree. England is not a very good place to be a teacher hence why I've decided to make the move overseas very early on in my career.
    Love the teaching side of things and work with the kids but absolutely HATE all the other rubbish that comes with this profession in the UK! I think you'll find most other teachers will agree with this sentiment.
    That being said (don't want to be too negative) there are schools which are good places to work and which you may find yourself staying longer than just your NQT year.

patternandsurface likes this.
  3. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

Perhaps then should consider heading off to an international school in some far flung country that many would consider less desirable to live in?

4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

You won’t get a very balanced response here.

patternandsurface likes this.
  5. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

Why's that? Is it more inclined to the negative side of things?

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Some people may claim that only the people with axes to grind post on here; the happy settled teachers may not tend to post some would say.

Go over to the behaviour forum and read some of the posts on there.

This is only my view, but you will be far, far happier if you avoid teaching in England unless you don't mind working 60+ hours per week, performance related pay, and the awful behaviour that is allowed in a lot of schools.

7. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

That settles it for me then, thanks.

pepper5 likes this.