1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whats it like in reality teaching in England? Post Michael Gove?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Pcarthy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

Hi

I've taught in the Scottish system for 15 years. It has got nothing what so ever to do with the English governments educational reforms and changes. Thank God! (sorry I've lived in Scotland for 15 years - I and everybody else in Scotland - really don't like the Tories).

I am thinking of moving down south and applying for teaching jobs down there. Is that a good idea?

What is it like teaching in England, given the context of the Conservative governments attitude to teachers and education. Is there a massive expectation to do lesson plans for every single lesson? Why are there so many teaching vacancies - is that hype or are lots of people leaving? Why are people leaving?

Be grateful for really honest answers.

Cheers

Pete

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Pete

You only have to go over to the work place dilemma forum and read some of the threads on there to find out why people are leaving and why many are off with stress.

One of the major problems in schools is the work load. It is not uncommon for teachers to work 60 plus hour weeks to keep up with the ever increasing paperwork, planning, marking and other duties teachers have to do.

Another problem is the the behaviour in English schools. You only have to read some of the sad stories about how NQTs are chased away from the profession by some of the horrendous schools that they have to work in.

The only way I would suggest you come south to look for work is if you could hold out until you found a really good school to work in. Where I live there is only one school I would ever consider working in permanently and that is why I am a supply teacher. The leadership team is supportive and generally the behaviour of the students is good, but schools like that one are rare.

If you have time, have a look over on the workplace dilemma forum - you will be able to see the answers to some of the questions you raise.

3. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

Thank you Pepper5

4. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

You don't say if you're primary or secondary, but I moved from teaching Y6 in a middle school where lesson plans were not expected, and marking expectations were roughly weekly, to a primary school where I was hit with daily, incredibly detailed lesson plans that had to detail every breath the kids took and expectations of daily marking of every subject. From what I can gather this is by no means uncommon in Primary generally. The workload has killed me, and is the main reason I'm leaving teaching, alongside brutal academy expectations, monitoring, pointless data and horrific behaviour that is left unchecked, and in my case actually fostered by clueless SLT.

5. Pcarthy

Pcarthy New commenter

It's Primary