1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's it like being an EAL teacher in schools?

Discussion in 'English' started by kirby42, Dec 9, 2018.

1. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.... I have a strong background in TEFL and I am currently doing a PGCE in English. I would ideally like to find work as an EAL teacher after I qualify as I find it more rewarding than teaching English literature. But it's proving difficult to find any information on what the job is actually like... How does it differ from being a teacher of another subject in school? I'd imagine that classes are smaller. Does that also mean that pay is less? Are EAL teachers treated as proper members of staff by schools and unions? A lot of schools I've seen seem to have EAL teachers on a part-time basis. Any pointers in the right direction as to where I could connect/find more about the EAL side of English would be helpful. There seems to be a lot of confusion over the distinction between TEFL and EAL.

2. Beatrice81

Beatrice81 New commenter

Many questions so will try to answer them:) I have been EAL/EMAG Coordinator for 5 years in North London-teaching English and EAL. EAL is a very narrow area, difficult to get promotion and hugely undervalued by everyone. I am in charge of EAL provision, which means assessing students and sending information to all staff, supporting individual teachers with strategies and ideas how to include an EAL student in the classroom, leading school initiatives, organising workshops and trips. I am one person department, with additional support form SEND team :)
    My classess are smaller (6-14 students), but with wide range of abilities (illiterate, SEN&EAL with different levels of proficiency) and all SOW/ lessons are planned by myself (huge time issues). I am full time, M6 at the moment with TLR and a member of NUT. There are not many EAL jobs for teachers, majority of them are for TA or HLTA as EAL is not funded like SEN.
    I would advice you to get familiar with NALDIC (amazing place to start with), which gives you some ideas in terms of thinking about EAL.
    Feel free to ask more- happy to help.

Naylm likes this.
  3. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

That's super, thanks for the info. Where's the best place to find jobs advertised? Tes?

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

You want to teach in the UK or abroad?

5. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

Up for anything really.