1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's it like being a SENCO?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Kerrie291, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Kerrie291

Kerrie291 New commenter

I am considering applying for my first SENCO role but I'm nervous about the demands of the role and work life balance. I've taught in mainstream and SEN settings and have some leadership experience. I love my current job but have always wanted to be a SENCO.

Could people in the role share the kind of things their working day entails and also a little about the volume of work they have.

Thanks in advance

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think it is / should be a privilege to lead and manage provision and with that comes the need for integrity, the capacity to grasp nettles, great communicating skills, emotional resilience and the ability to be grounded, supremely well organised and an excellent rôle model. So begin by looking at the skill set you have to take on this whole school responsibility ? You are there to enable ( staff / students ) and ultimately support the curriculum ( although to my way of thinking this is rarely fit for purpose !? ) .You don’t mention phase ? ( I was Secondary and taught half a timetable of languages and PSHCE ).You may find replies / observations / comments by fellow colleagues on this subject make interesting reading but unlikely to be massively helpful ? With this position I know from experience far too many variables across all settings ?( I was an Advisory teacher and delivered the NASCo accreditation ). You do need a vision for inclusion and want to embrace/ celebrate and act upon the fact that you can genuinely (with the non negotiable backing / understanding of the LT ) make a difference ? Not sure if you have posted in SEN too ? Good Luck .