1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's in your prize box?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nc_marsden, Aug 4, 2011.

1. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

As the title suggests...
    Where do you get your prizes? on a budget?
    Wilkinsons/Tesco have some lovely things

2. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

As the title suggests...
    Where do you get your prizes? on a budget?
    Wilkinsons/Tesco have some lovely things

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't do prizes. If my children work REALLY hard they might get a team point, and the one with the most team points MIGHT get a certificate at the end of the month, but that's it!

4. inq

inq

Things like pretty pencils, whistles, plastic harmonicas, paper fans, little parachutes + men, bouncy balls, glowsticks, pretty hair bands - almost anything from the 99p shop that has 10 in a pack or in the party range from Tesco and Wilkinson especially when they're reduced - basically nothing costing more than a few pence. We don't have sweets in ours as we are a healthy school!!

5. I get most of my prizes from Wilkinsons, Tesco and Poundland. I give out shiny pencils, rubbers, small rulers, keyrings and pencil sharpeners. Love the packs you can get from poundland (rubbers, pencils etc).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I used to have a balloon box. They picked a balloon - popped it - and the prize was;
    A smile from everyone in the class
    A pat on the back from 5 friends
    10 house points.
    Extra playtime
    Bring in a toy from home
    Bring in a CD and play their favourite song
    That was for the pupil of the week. My class never got prizes for anything else - just housepoints and stickers which I do believe they would kill for.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now I do like those as prizes...But I don't have a prize box.

They get stickers like confetti really. Or they do at the start of the year when I am conscientiousness and remember, by May they practically have to create world peace to get one.

We have a star chart for whole class rewards, but they get less than one a week on average. Things like the HT complimenting their behaviour in assembly, or the teacher on break duty complimenting them, or me getting a fabulous report from the supply or PPA teacher. 10 stars and they get 10-15 mins extra play (indoor choosing time in the winter!)

I also have a sweetie tin with jelly beans in. They get one each if I think they have all done something very, very good. Things like going into class by themselves and settling to work while I sort out a child with an horrific nosebleed on the playground. Working really quietly and sensibly while I go and collect a child from a class a million miles away who is misbehaving (and it could take a while as he might refuse to come at first). So they don't get many in a year, but the ultimate promise (bribe) of a sweet does mean I can trust them all alone on the rare occasions when I need to.

I'm not sure if I disapprove of prize boxes enough to mean I don't have one, or if I am just too tight to buy the prizes.

8. Why do you feel the need to have a prize box?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No prize box here either

10. I didn't. I used rewards like stickers, team points, 5 minutes extra time with thermometers, stopwatches, compasses, microphones. Faced with the problem of being sandwiched between classes who had weekly or even daily prizes and the point being made by several parents, I gave in.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Whole school reward systems are sooooo much more sensible.

Maybe talk to your HT, it is a nonsense that staff pay out for prizes of this nature.

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I don't do prizes either. For my pupils, the prize is being in my class for a whole year.....

13. missrieen

missrieen New commenter

I have a prize box for children to choose from when they are 'star of the week'. As others have said, mainly Tesco, Wilkos and Poundland.
    If other children do something good we have a whole school system of 'credits' and I have avast supply of stickers and praise x

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our 'star of the week' which is a whole school type thing means they get a certificate in assembly and then get to sit on a special chair during carpet time. They also generally get to run errands and things, which they see as a reward. Definitely not a prize.

15. I buy cheap novelty rubbers, sparkly pencils, bouncy balls, cheap notepads, etc basically anything when they are on offer or in packs that can be broken up to make individual prizes. Not allowed to give sweets as we have a healthy school policy. I have a class reward chart in addition to the school one - move steps towards getting a dip in the prize chest. Works a treat!

Obviously some people don't agree with 'prizes' but IMO we all need little rewards in life!

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine are even luckier, they get two years with me!
    ( although I have already taught next year's 6's for 4 years, they get a medal if the can last 5!)

17. I agree with minnieminx. Talk to your head teacher, personally I think the prize giving thing is ridiculous and sends completely the wrong messages to children. Perhaps a discussion on intrinsic motivation is required.

18. paulcollins

paulcollins New commenter

19. Tesco have a 3 for 2 offer on some of their stationery items - a lot of which are 50p at the moment. I've stocked up on these to add to my prize bag. Another good source of prizes for me is the 2p cascades at the seaside :) Love playing these machines with my kids when we're away and the tacky gifts we win are much 'prized'.
    I do use the whole school reward system, but found that the time consuming process of writing up merits etc put me off using it as much as I should. As I am 'into' pirates - bought a cheap treasure chest and lots of plastic gold coins. I give the gold coins out regularly and the pupils can trade them in for merits etc - the ultimate trade-ins being pirate stickers (much coveted) or a small prize (usually a notebook, rubber etc). I try never to give sweets.
    It's always a dilemma - to give rewards/prizes or not. At the end of the day, consistency, fairness and clear boundaries will always be the best thing, but it is fun and rewarding on both sides to be able to treat the pupils.