1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jan 8, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My beautiful daughter is with us again this weekend. It's really nice she is making the effort to try and bond with me in a way I wasn't able to do with my own parents. We talk about all sorts of things about me and her. Much more than we did when she was younger
    Today I asked her how she felt about the name her mother and I had agreed to give her. Whether she felt better about her second name or would prefer to had it as a first name instead. It turns out she's quite happy with it. It's a name that can be shortend to a sexier one she prefers.
    She asked what prompted us to give her the name and I had to confess to her it was the name of my first girlfriend, the only child in infant's school who would pick me as a dancing partner in the country dancing lessons we had to suffer.
    So how do you feel about your names? Have they given you grief? Would you have prefered a different name to the one you were given. Do you know why your parents gave you that name? Are you able to ask them?

2. My middle name is an old family name. It is also fairly embarrassing as it can easily be made to sound rude. I was teased endlessly at school and it caused me a huge amount of grief.
    I have not passed it on to my children.

3. I love my name, but will now ask my elderly mum why she gave it to me..

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Love my name. I don't have a middle name - for which I have always been grateful (does anyone like their middle names?).
    I am the youngest of three girls, and my parents took turns to name the kids. So my father started with my eldest sister, my mother the second, so my father got to name me. It is a short name, which he thought could not be shortened - if only he knew I would have a speech defect which meant I strung my first intelligible sentence together at the age of 6 :)
    It was shortened therefore, but in a way people would not expect. Consequently, most people though, do not shorten it, which means that only people nearest and dearest to me do, adding special meaning :)
    I like it.
    (Have also imbibed a little tonight, which I also liked, so please forgive any dodgy spelling etc).

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have almost always been known by my middle name.
    My first name is Jewish - I'm named for a good friend of Mum's who helped her through a really rough time. It has a slightly unusual spelling and pronunciation - although there is a more common equivalent, and most people automatically use that. It irks me slightly when I spell my first name and someone asks 'do you mean....?' and give the more common version ...No, I meant to spell it just the way I did!
    My middle name echoes my German origins, but is fairly common on England. Again it is usually spelled differently. This is the name I use most often.
    Finally I have a 'family' name. It is German in origin, a version of Mum's name. I'm still called this by family.
    I looked into the meanings of my names and was stunned. All three are just beautiful and fit me perfectly. How did Mum pick such special names?!
    At school, I wished I could be called something simple like 'Jane'. But since learning more about why i was given my names, and what they mean, they are the ones I would choose.

6. I like my name very much. I was named, I believe, after a great friend of my mother's. My middle name is my mother's first name..........very boring and one that many, many women of a certain age has!

7. I'm pretty indifferent to my name. I don't even know if it's considered a nice name by anyone else.

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Snap!
    I think my name must be OK, as it has been used over centuries and appears still to be popular, but I cannot see it objectively - it is just my name.
    I adored the names I chose for my two girls, and I think they are happy with them, although they have both shortened them in ways which I wouldn't have anticipated. I now call the younger one by the shortened form, as it suits her personality more. I still call the elder by her full name, although I don't think anybody else does.
    If either of them ever complained about their name, I simply used to inform them that my name of choice for both babies had been "Maud" but that their father had vetoed this both times.

9. I LIKE the name Maude! (Has to be the French spelling for me though...)
    Maybe if I have another child... who knows. :)

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I love my name.
    My middle name, however... wel neither of my parents like it, so I'm not quite sure why I have it...

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm named after my Dad's grandmother, who died shortly before I was born. Plus, my mum was a huge fan of Jane Austen so one of her characters' names made its way into my name.
    I didn't used to like it, but now that I'm married I don't think I can bring myself to change my surname. My first and middle name just don't seem to go as well with what would be my married name.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My mum told me many years ago that before I was born they were convinced I was a girl and had chosen a girl's name for me. When I was born and turned out to be a boy they liked the name so much that they turned it into a boy's name by taking away the letter o. She said that they changed the name by taking 'nothing' away!

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't like my full name or the most common abbreviation of it.
    I do love the shortened version that I have always used. This is now a name in its own right.
    Life would be easier if I wasn't saddled with a long old-fashioned name that I never use!

14. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Having met both Bombay and Blazer i am now racking my brains on the last two posts, lol.

I have no idea why i have the name i have and i have never really thought about if i like it or not, i guess it's just me [​IMG]

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Love my name but had a difficult maiden name. My married name goes well with my Christian name so I was lucky. I loved choosing names for the boys and they both like their names. Can't wait for g'child number two to see what it will be and what they will call it. Used to spend time on mumsnet reading the baby names thread - hilarious and horrifying in equal parts.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My first name has been bestowed upon the oldest male in every generation of my family for the best part of 200 years, so I'm quite happy to be part of that, especially as I'm the last in the current line, having no male offspring.

17. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Oh oh oh i got it!!!!! crikey that hurt my brain.

18. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

When my sister was born she was named after the daughter of my dad's favourite rock star. By the time I was born said rock star had also had another daughter so my dad wanted to name me after that one. My mum didn't like it so came up with a shortened version of that name to use for me. I like it and people often think it's shortened from something else, but it's not. My middle name is the first name of my mum's best friend.

I have decided that if I ever have a daughter I want to use my best friend's name for her middle name :)

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't like my full name but I do like my name when it is shortened-the original is quite long and (I think) cumbersome, not many people ever spell it correctly either. The only problem I have with the shortened version is that there are a variety of ways of spelling it and no-one ever seems to choose the way I like!
    My mum chose it because she liked it and thought it unusual, which it is, there was never anyoner else at school with the same name!

20. I was named for my uncle. It's something I didn't work out for ages, as he goes by a shortened version of his middle name; I was named the female version of his first name. I normally go by a slightly unusual shortening of my first name and detest when people (outside of family) use the most common shortening of it.
    I'm not fussed about my middle name, though combined with my full first name, it's a hell of a mouthful. And both names are feminine versions of initially male names.