1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's in a business name?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by Ostpreussen, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I am stating up my own German tutoring business and have been thinking of a suitable business name. This is a new venture for me and I am learning the ropes on business courses!
    The one I am thinking of is German Langauge Solutions.
    Just wonder if I should have a prefix or word before that. Like:

XYZ German Language Solutions.
    or: A-Z German Language Solutions.
    Woud this be a good idea? Do these sound okay? Which one sounds better?
    Any other suggestions? Suppose I need something snazzy and memorable.

2. I am stating up my own German tutoring business and have been thinking of a suitable business name. This is a new venture for me and I am learning the ropes on business courses!
    The one I am thinking of is German Langauge Solutions.
    Just wonder if I should have a prefix or word before that. Like:

XYZ German Language Solutions.
    or: A-Z German Language Solutions.
    Woud this be a good idea? Do these sound okay? Which one sounds better?
    Any other suggestions? Suppose I need something snazzy and memorable.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I see you correct it later, but be careful with a name that can so easily be mis-spelt (it will make it harder for web searches to find you).

I would also suggest that your chosen name suggests translation / interpreting services, rather than tutoring.

Perhaps the word "tutors" or some variation should be in there?

4. Thanks Geoff. I know it is important to get it right. Would probably pass any translation to a friend as I have no quals. in this. There are some other names I am toying with:
    German Tutoring Services
    All Purpose German (suggested by a friend with a Ger. business, but my former HOD/ MFL said it was a dull name)
    Think Learn German (Yellow Pages marketing man's suggestion)

5. How about "Die Schrecken der Deutschen Sprache?"

6. HIyah
    One word names are better; Nike, Virgin, Apple etc
    Try a business name generator there are lots of free ones on the web:
    http://www.businessnamegenerator.com/
    The shorter it is - the better it will look in a webpage e.g. www.atoz_language_solutions.co.uk is going to be horrible to spell out to people, looks messy and does not catch the eye.
    Something fun and catchy like "Languify" or "GermLang" may be better. In the end your surname may be the answer. e.g Hilton hotels
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Sarah Hilton
    www.revisionstation.co.uk

7. It all depends where your business is? Germany? UK? do tell and I may give my advise. I have a few contacts in Germany who do same.

8. Hi Mr Chips, of Robert Donat fame...
    Great film btw..
    Yep, business will be in the UK - teaching German to pupils /adults (beginners to "A"Level) and Business German. Also German conversation to adults. Also hope to expand to EFL. And ....and...
    I have family in Germany too and am half German! Was raised bilingual.
    After 17 years in mainstream teaching I want to try something new and have never ever thought of my own business before, BUT the more I find out, the better I feel and want to float this ship and steer my own boat. If I can make ends meet I will be happy..
    I am learning. Know nothing about setting up a business - went on a Chamber of Commerce General course the other week in Birmingham and am willing to learn. Just want to make ends meet and not go back to souless supply or teach till I am 68!
    It would be great to have my own tution business...And do what I love - teach the language I grew up speaking at home.
    Have a temporary business register name with Yellow Pages/ Yell.com and have to finalise the name of my business by the end of the week (Friday).
    Any help/ advice would be appreciated. I am v. excted about the prospect of starting up a new business but realise I have so much to learn..

9. Hi Ostpresseun
    I see some great ideas here and while we may have our own views ultimately you will decide and of course that goes with saying as you might say :) also,its a great idea to steer your own boat if more and more teachers did that tell you what, the slagging which the profession gets might stop overnight as they (politicians, media and parents alike) will find there is no one to teach their kids :) -- good luck
    KISS is what I taught to my students, keep it simple and short. Sarah suggested single word names and yes that is a great idea --- but "GermLang"not sure if I will buy tha, having had a science beackground the word germ has a different connotation.
    One thing I have found important is the types of letters used in the name and what they could become as an acronym or a logo. If the letters are great, then with a great logo you'll go far. I am not an expert in graphics design but some of your friends might be able to suggest something to you :) German Language Solutions (GLS) sounded good and I thought you might also want to consider Lets Learn German (LLG)
    Also, I do not know what Ostpresseun means but if you want one word business name perhaps that is also a consideration?? Good luck and keep us informed.

10. HI New1notNQT,
    Thanks for your positive comment on the Unemployed Teachers forum btw! Yep, I feel it is time to try something new and different with my life and take on a new challenge! There are only so many years an ox can plough the same field and watch the seasons come and go..
    And we are capable of so much more than that! But you need belief! And to step outa that comfort zone..
    Never knew you were a Business Studies teacher! Yes, have to decide the final name for Friday (Yellow Pages deadline). Wish I had the audacity to call it "Die Schrecken der Deutschen!" as that had me in stitches..
    Yes, have looked at some online name generators and that was all thanks to Sarah as did not know about those!
    Ostpreussen is the Ger. for East Prussia - home of my mother!
    Still undecided about the name..But it will come to me.

11. I'm glad you weren't offended. There are many free copies of Mark Twain's text online. An amusing read.

12. Hallo Wilf!
    No, not at all!!!! great to see someone with a sense of humour and it got me and some friends going ...we hought of Achtung achtung Spitfire! and even "Sieg heil!" one afternoon in the park and had a good chuckle..
    it is good to laff!
    Don't know the Mark Twain text though. So will look into that!