1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

We too lost a dear friend recently who'd been like a brother to us over some thirty odd years. Like brothers and sisters, you can both love and hate them, depending on mood, what they say and how they behave; and so it was with our friend.

He was a good mentor to me in business. Sometimes generous, sometimes overly mean. We could argue the toss over the state of the world and what ought to be done to make things better until the cows came home, woke up and went grazing again, without it having the least impact on our mutual respect.

He wouldn't have wasted his life away posting nonsense on the likes of here, like we all do, because he'd have seen it as a pointless diversion that changes nothing, but I bet most of you would have enjoyed his company down the pub, if you'd had the privilege to have met him.

I think the same would be true of most who post on here.

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Yes, you're right. I often say to my husband: 'I've just been in the staffroom and they're discussing . . . ' etc - just like a good bunch of friends. Sometimes you see eye to eye and sometimes not, but that doesn't matter - unless someone is truly rude and that does matter. My friend and I could talk about things that went back to teenage years - and especially the boyfriends we had and perhaps why we're glad we didn't marry them, ha ha Good friends are worth more than gold, but I honestly think that as you go through life, don't forget to make new friends and with younger people. I know some people who feel all alone in life because their good friends have all died and they haven't made younger friends. I like being with younger people - well, I did teach those younger than myself, just about.

3. JosieWhitehead

You are feeling like this because the only news we seem to hear is bad news. If we heard only the best things that happen in our country, we wouldn't feel like this. then the bad news is followed up by films in which you are warned of bad language, violence etc and, of course, the soap operas where people living next to each other seem to hate each other, murder each other or worse. We should have a few weeks of good news and happy programmes to make us feel better.

4. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

What it's like to be British

• Being unable to pay for something with the exact change without saying, “I think that’s right.”
    • Waiting for permission to leave after paying for something with the exact change.
    • Saying “Hello” to a friend in the supermarket, then creeping around like a burglar to avoid seeing them again.
    • Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested.
    • Changing from ‘Kind regards’ to just ‘Regards’, to indicate that you’re rapidly reaching the end of your tether.
    • Staring at your phone in silent horror until the unknown number stops ringing.
    • Hearing a recording of your own voice and deciding it’s perhaps best never to speak again.
    • The relief you feel when someone doesn’t answer their phone within three rings, meaning you can hang up.
    • Filming an entire fireworks display on your phone, knowing full well you’ll never, ever watch it again.
    • Overtaking someone on foot and having to keep up the uncomfortably fast pace until safely over the horizon.
    • Being unable to turn and walk in the opposite direction without first taking out your phone and frowning at it.

That's all, folks.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Almost bumping into someone on the pavement, moving to the right when they move to the left, then back again. Repeat several times until you’re almost touching and then both apologise.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

1, 7 and 11 are wild exaggerations.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What is it like to be British?
    • We are 4 nations making one nation which is called the United Kingdom and a citizen of the UK is called 'British'
    BUT:
    • Each nation has its own identity although being an 'Englishman' or 'Englishwoman' is frowned upon by the other three nations and often by some of the English born as well
    • You do not have to be born in the UK to be called British there are ways and means to that end
    • Your blood roots carry little sway in deciding whether you are a British citizen, being born in one of the four nations however, is a distinction that categorizes you as Scottish, Welsh or Irish yet, not English unless you wish to offend many of the others and your own in some cases
    I propose that being British is a confusing privilege :);)

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

'Strewth, lexus, this island is coming down with Yorkshiremen.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I am a Cheshire lad who lives and loves Staffordshire Moorlands:);)
    Up north from here is Yorkshire and long may it remain so.

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

1 is most certainly not an exaggeration

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yes it is.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought generally North of you was Liverpool.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Yes and west.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You're a posh scouser. We have people like that in South Belfast but they talk about living in Malone.

15. JosieWhitehead

I like the way that people welcome newcomers to their town. When we came here, years ago, we were worried about moving so far from people we knew. We went for a coffee at the Church Coffee Centre and a nice lady said: 'Why not buy a house here and be part of our family?' and I knew immediately this was the town to come, and I was right. You do feel part of a family and people are so kind. This is good Britishness isn't it? Long may it live!

phlogiston likes this.
  16. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Respect and politeness in society. The British don't push and shove their ways in general onto buses or trains like some European or other countries. Please and thank you is taught.

The culture of diversity and tolerance of other countries (hence lots of people wanting to be here instead of elsewhere)...

Sense of humour of the British and of course brilliant music and creativity. All fairly unique...

peter12171 likes this.
  17. peter12171

Not knowing our language as well as other countries do ;)

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. peter12171

primarycat likes this.
  19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter