1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Does anyone like British fish and chips, roast beef and yorkshire pudding, British beer - or how about British television/radio? I agree, as a poet, I like the English language. Where else can I find a word with the same meaning with either one syllables, two or perhaps three to fit into my line? We have a rich language indeed.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

upload_2019-3-6_20-48-21.jpeg

mathsmutt and nomad like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Well in those days it was ok to be English. These days it is frowned upon.

5. Oscillatingass

I thought that originally he said "England confides..." but they didn't have flags for "confides" so they used the "expects" flags instead.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He was too busy kissing Hardy to tell me.

mathsmutt likes this.
  7. Oscillatingass

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What it's like to be British

• Worrying you’ve accidentally packed 3 kilos of cocaine and a dead goat as you stroll through “Nothing to declare”

• Being unable to stand and leave without first saying “right”

• Not hearing someone for the third time, so just laughing and hoping for the best

• Saying “anywhere here’s fine” when the taxi’s directly outside your front door

• Being sure to start touching your bag 15 minutes before your station, so the person in the aisle seat is fully prepared for your exit

• Repeatedly pressing the door button on the train before it’s illuminated, to assure your fellow commuters you have the situation in hand

• Having someone sit next to you on the train, meaning you’ll have to eat your crisps at home
    • The huge sense of relief after your perfectly valid train ticket is accepted by the inspector

• The horror of someone you only half know saying: “Oh I’m getting that train too”

• “Sorry, is anyone sitting here?” – Translation: Unless this is a person who looks remarkably like a bag, I suggest you move it

• Loudly tapping your fingers at the cashpoint, to assure the queue that you’ve asked for money and the wait is out of your hands

• Looking away so violently as someone nearby enters their PIN that you accidentally dislocate your neck

• Waiting for permission to leave after paying for something with the exact change

• Saying hello to a friend in the supermarket, then creeping around like a burglar to avoid seeing them again

• Watching with quiet sorrow as you receive a different haircut to the one you requested

• Being unable to pay for something with the exact change without saying “I think that’s right”

• Overtaking someone on foot and having to keep up the uncomfortably fast pace until safely over the horizon

• Being unable to turn and walk in the opposite direction without first taking out your phone and frowning at it

• Deeming it necessary to do a little jog over zebra crossings, while throwing in an apologetic mini wave

• Punishing people who don’t say thank you by saying “you’re welcome” as quietly as possible

• The overwhelming sorrow of finding a cup of tea you forgot about

• Turning down a cup of tea for no reason and instantly knowing you’ve made a terrible, terrible mistake

• Suddenly remembering your tea and necking it like a massive, lukewarm shot

• Realising you’ve got about fifty grand’s worth of plastic bags under your kitchen sink

• “You’ll have to excuse the mess” – Translation: I’ve spent seven hours tidying in preparation for your visit

• Indicating that you want the last roast potato by trying to force everyone else to take it

• “I’m off to bed” – Translation: “I’m off to stare at my phone in another part of the house”

• Mishearing somebody’s name on the second time of asking, meaning you must now avoid them forever

• Leaving it too late to correct someone, meaning you must live with your new name forever

• Running out of ways to say thanks when a succession of doors are held for you, having already deployed ‘cheers’, ‘ta’ and ‘nice one’

• Changing from ‘kind regards’ to just ‘regards’, to indicate that you’re rapidly reaching the end of your tether

• Staring at your phone in silent horror until the unknown number stops ringing

• Hearing a recording of your own voice and deciding it’s perhaps best never to speak again

• The relief when someone doesn’t answer their phone within three rings and you can hang up

• Filming an entire fireworks display on your phone, knowing full well you’ll never, ever watch it again

9. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

Before firing your rather angry post, you should have watched the clip I put in my post (#105) - watch it, you'll understand what the “our waiters” in my post refers to.

(not everyone on here is from these Sceptred Isles ;)).

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I prefer Moules Frites to fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire puddings are OK but I can think of other stuff I like better. I prefer Belgian beer and French wine to British booze. I don't mind where the TV programme was made as long as it's not utter sh*te, and I'm happy to read subtitles.

We have a rich language indeed - a mixture of Celtic, Gaelic, Latin, Anglo-Saxon, Nordic, French, Indian, Afro-Caribbean, American, Australian, Internetian etc etc. We didn't inherit an official 'English' language from King Arthur, as I'm sure you know. Look at the names of our 'traditional' towns and villages for starters. I was born in a town with a Celtic/Latin-derived name, moved down the road to one with a Celtic name, then went to high school in a village named by Saxons and Frenchmen. Even the word 'English' is derived from the home of the Angles, on the current German/Danish border.:)

We're a cultural Piccadilly Circus and always have been, and that's what I think is good about Britishness - unfortunately the English Channel makes some think otherwise.

bajan and sparkleghirl like this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I like the British for their sheer bloody-mindedness. I think that the nation voted for Brexit because the pompous and crass David Cameron and his remain cronies sent out that leaflet telling us all the doom and gloom that would follow Brexit. It may have been true but we just wanted to give that upper class twit a bloody nose. The same as when Teresa May called the general election to try and ensure 'strong and stable leadership'. Well, that was just a red rag to a bull!

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Bloody-minded=Stupid enough to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It's a democracy so we can vote how we like no matter how deluded we may be.

14. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Yep, and Obama's talk about going to the back of the queue. If only he'd said "line"...

15. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Britain and Britishness? Oh, not the March weather for certain. We've had rain, wind, snow and now hail hurled at us in Yorkshire today and the sky is as black as . . . . thunder? No, we've not had that YET. But I'll keep my stiff upper lip whilst trying 'not to grumble' as it looks like the end of the world coming outside.

colpee likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

In like a lion and out like a lamb.

border_walker likes this.
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Get your coat - nothing like battling the elements to clear one’s head and appreciate a nice snug house when one gets back.

border_walker likes this.
  18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

@monicabilongame
    That's brilliant! I can relate to every single one of those.:)

Did you make that up yourself? I'm sure you did. :p

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No, I stole it. But I can relate to every single one too - even the 'did I manage to pack 3kg of cocaine and a dead goat in my suitcase by accident?'

silkywave and Dunteachin like this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Really? How much cocaine did you pack?