1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Come the glorious revolution all that will be stopped!!!!!!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The BRITISH NEVER REALISE HOW LUCK THEY ARE TO LIVE HER TIL THE MOVE TO ANOTHER LA
    Thank goodness whingers like you are not in a multitude.If you don't like it work to change it rather than complaining,if not get one with it.
    One can always find problems, things wrong and folks who are never happy. Part of living on an Island is that we do not all agree but we certainly all have to get on together. In the end, the reality is as I said change it, but remember most folk will not accept or even recognise your views. At least we have the right to be critical and to complain, and despite our so-called failures, my experience of the folks of this land is that most are caring, loving and interested. Many overseas folks see up as good land, offering opportunities to live and grow normally, unhindered unless you espouse some extreme views. Our governments are never perfect because they are human and rule not from a consensus of what is good for the people of this land, but from a political view of what they FEEL the people of this land should have to say and be to be living. At the end of the day that is political as it costs to provide folks with the 'Luxuries,' we think or know they need and only politicians can by law release the cash which can fulfil social and political desires.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2019-3-5_13-59-12.png

4. Oscillatingass

I am most contrite. :(

nomad and lanokia like this.
  5. borges33

borges33 New commenter

Britain does not include Northern Ireland or Scotland.
    Great Britain does not include Northern Ireland.

Therein lies the problem of 'britishness.'

mathsmutt and monicabilongame like this.
  6. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

You are confused about the difference between the modern meaning of "Britain" and the ancient Brythonic people, who inhabited parts of Wales, Cornwall and Brittany. These people consisted of diverse tribes so there was no such place as "Britain". England become more unified under the Anglo Saxon invaders. The Britons themselves were driven to the fringes.

"Britain" is normally used as a synonym for the UK. Some people might intend it to mean Great Britain but this definitely includes Scotland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain

There is no reason to use Great Britain instead of the UK except for specific legal purposes.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The weather too.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

9. schoolsout4summer

Who built most of the castles, I wonder?

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What does it matter if they are in Britain? You seem determined to put down the country and its people, why is this?

11. Oscillatingass

Was it some bloke called Norman?

12. schoolsout4summer

Quite so - royalty and aristocracy, privilege and deference and master and serf.
    Stuff Scotland, they have Hadrian's Wall and can look after themselves.

borges33 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To my knowledge it lies inside England's borders.

mathsmutt and borges33 like this.
  14. sparklesparkle

We shall build a wall and Scotland will pay for it...

lanokia, Oscillatingass and borges33 like this.
  15. borges33

borges33 New commenter

No confusion here. The thread is about Britain and Britishness. If the question had been asked in the 80s or 90s then we may have seen a much different set of answers. For example, in Scotland, the British state dug coal, milled steel, built ships; it put the phone in your hall, brought you electricity that lit your home and the gas you cooked with. Miners in Lanarkshire felt a bond with miners in Yorkshire and so on.

Nowadays, the idea of Britishness has eroded. In Scotland, over 65's would see themselves as British. The younger generation, statistically speaking, are beginning to see themselves as Scottish rather than British.

What I think distinguishes Scotland most noticeably from their neighbours in England is this: that in England there is a strong nostalgic sense of something lost, a belief that the country is not as good as it used to be.

That is the prevailing view in England; not so in Scotland, where significantly more people believe their country's best days lie ahead of it, rather than behind it.

silkywave, mathsmutt and coffeekid like this.
  16. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

An anthem for England, yes. Britain ?

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountain green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.

nomad likes this.
  17. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Sadly, this appears to be a common perception.:(

18. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

To see Great Britain or the UK purely in legal terms is to overlook the diverse history, traditions and cultural differences that make us who and what we are.

coffeekid, borges33 and mathsmutt like this.
  19. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Nah, Donald Trump has his resort in Aberdeenshire, so youse can pay!:)
    https://www.trumpgolfscotland.com/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    nomad likes this.
  20. sparklesparkle

Your response in post 85 addressed the question of geography.

The question of who feels British and who is geographically part of the UK are two different things.