1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There seems to be an awful lot of bitterness here which is rather sad from the intention of the OP.

Of course there are ways that Britain can change and improve, in fact to an extent it is one of the good things that we can see that and aren't prone to gung-ho nationalism imagining that we are already the best and can rest on our collective laurels.

Despite the prevalence of grass-is-greener-syndrome:

Britain is one of the less racist countries in the world, we aren't perfect and there are those who let the side down, but relative to some we are a shining example.

Britain is accepting of diversity, we accept the religion, sexuality and lifestyles of others as long as they don't start to get evangelical about them and keep it to themselves.

We don't allow religion to dictate how people live their daily lives, we are all living in the here and now and a set of Chinese whisper rules written down from the Bronze Age onwards is out of date to say the least.

We are generally polite and respect others in public settings, maybe some think that behind the smiling face is seething rage and hatred, but I think this says more about them. I may reach mild annoyance while smiling but it doesn't get any more than that.

Our bureaucracy and authorities are generally pragmatic, compared to many places it is remarkably easy to get things done and doesn't involve greasing any palms.

Humour - everyone (almost) has a sense of humour, I like that a lot.

History- it is everywhere.

Green - it's a green place, often very green, very green indeed.

A clement climate, the most extreme events are rare, regional, short lived and wouldn't even register in the top ten of what many places on earth get.

That'll do for now, I expect there will be lots of Yebbut's.

2. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

We make an effigy of someone who tried to blow up our seat of power which we hawk round the streets for donations to buy explosives. We then get a big pile of old pallets and firewood. On top of this we put the effigy, light the fire and stand around eating caramelised sugar, which we all know is bad for our diet and our teeth, while setting off the explosives. Is it any wonder that britishness is not really understood by anyone!

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I don't understand the first part of your message and I am not interested in yet another poisonous Brexit debate.
    All I am "advocating" is that people who evidently despise this country might be less embittered and more fulfilled were they to find a country that can provide for them what this country cannot provide. The subtext of my message is of course that one might struggle to find a better country to live in than the UK despite its faults. Just my opinion.:)

sparklesparkle and Mangleworzle like this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think the more you travel outside the UK the more there is one thing about the British you have to acknowledge and miss - basic manners.

border_walker likes this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I haven't found that, dumpty. In most places I've visited in the US, civilians and staff have been courteous and helpful. Ditto rural France.
    Whereas the phlegm, fag-end and fast-food wrapper-strewn entrance to a (thankfully not very) local supermarket, where grown women scream, eff and blind at tiny children who dare request they move their eyes away from the screen for two seconds as they wait for their taxis, don't seem to reflect basic manners at all.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. Oscillatingass

Thank you for your reasoned response. I am not a Tory, I have voted Labour all my life but not a Corbyn fan. Now we have that out of the way may I deal with the rest of your reply? I spent all my working life as a teacher so would be the first to admit our education system is a total disaster and shows no sign of improvement. Obviously the teaching of Languages is no exception but to cite that as a reason for hating Britain is a tad extreme. Many Brits have made their lives abroad, indeed in the various Brexit debates we are reminded how many Brits live on the European mainland so it appears the language barrier is not insurmountable. I understand some British people emigrate to English speaking countries such as, Australia, New Zealand or Canada. Clearly "vested interests" exist in this country but I suspect you may find these in other countries as well, that is if you were brave enough to confront the language barrier. The UK has plenty of faults and life in UK is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it is my home and I would not wish to live anywhere else. I find it irritating that people whinge and complain about the UK as if there is some "paradise" against which all social, moral and political ideas should by judged. This is pure fantasy. I will say again at the risk of repeating myself...….if some of us are so angry and embittered we cant bear life in the UK then surely the best thing to do for their mental health as much as anything is to move to a country which better suits their views although I would suggest this may prove a challenge.

peter12171 and oldsomeman like this.
  8. borges33

borges33 New commenter

Britain, to me, has always meant the kingdom of England and the principality of Wales.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Your "knee jerk" reaction was "if you don't like it leave". I never said I hated Britain, I am just saying what is rubbish about it, a lot agree, and there is loads that is rubbish that nice middle class people like you can just ignore. Unfortunately Britain could be a much better place, but those vested interests want us all to suffer so they can bask in smugness and wealth while selling the country off to foreign interests, dodging taxes, breaking other laws, and keeping themselves elite. One of the biggest problems with this country is that we never had a revolution.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Devon
    Cornwall
    The Welsh Mountains
    The Marcher counties
    The Fens
    Derbyshire Peaks
    Yorkshire [all of it]
    The South Downs
    The Lake District
    The Pennines
    The Scottish Highlands and Islands
    Anywhere pretty in Northern Ireland that I don't know the name of because I haven't been but I have to include somewhere so racroesus is pacified]

silkywave and Oscillatingass like this.
  11. Oscillatingass

You have chosen to interpret what I said as "take it or leave it" which is not what I said. You are clearly throwing out labels and insults, indeed your reply is more of a rant than anything else. It seems you are very angry so I can only wish you feel better soon.

12. Oscillatingass

Don't be so darned smug and middle class!!!;)

lanokia likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You omitted the Cotswolds. :(

upload_2019-3-5_12-43-47.jpeg

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not been there... does look nice.

And additionally, in the cities category:
    Oxford
    Chester
    York
    Edinburgh
    London
    Stirling
    Cambridge
    Peterborough :p
    St Andrews [has the ruins of the Cathedral]
    Bath
    Lincoln

Cue me radiating more middle class smugness.

15. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

silkywave, mathsmutt and coffeekid like this.
  16. sparklesparkle

[​IMG]

mathsmutt and coffeekid like this.
  17. sparklesparkle

[​IMG]

mathsmutt likes this.
  18. sparklesparkle

[​IMG]

19. sparklesparkle