1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Not at all. If someone is obviously so fed up with life in the UK it seems to me the best thing to do is to go to a country which best suits their expectations. Russia may not be a good option. I wouldn't know, I am content to live where I am though clearly Britain has its faults. Perhaps people should count their blessings rather than whining.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe without Brexit they (& others who think like this) COULD have moved elsewhere...;)

3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Brexit hasn't happened as yet so people who desire to leave can still do so. Even after Brexit, I expect people will still be permitted to move to another country.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Who do they ask? Quality of life? Can anyone not a middle class teacher (and preferably better-paid) imagine their clucking life for them, their parents or children without the welfare state, free education or the NHS?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I wouldn't agree with you there.

Words by William Blake (British); set to music by Hubert Parry (British). It is definitely British, even though is may not be what most people believe it to be.

The words were taken from a much larger work of Blake's, entitled "Milton a Poem". He didn't give the short piece a title - and certainly didn't call it "Jerusalem", but taking into account Blake’s views of orthodox Christianity and of the excessive patriotism of the Napoleonic Wars era, the poem may actually be a scathing satire.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's the Lily Allen effect.

nomad likes this.
  7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Sky are doing their best to change that!

8. Aquamarina1234

SOME words were taken from Blake, but surely to cluck no one could disagree with the ones chosen? If the "dark satanic mills" are not the equivalent of Sports Direct or Amazon zero hours (though praising our country - taxpayers--for Working Family Tax Credits) is there nothing we could clap?

Duke of York and nomad like this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Read Bill Bryson. We get very excited about tea and cake. We try to help others. We show respect to those who defeated the Nazis. We have great castles and scenery. My friend (who moved her from India) says we are a very tolerant, welcoming people and that we used to have a great education/health system. Art, Literature, free speech.
    Some might say all this is now dated and no longer applies...

10. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

The curry. One of the few things I miss about the UK.

11. Aquamarina1234

A British Curry.
    I rest my case.
    Its like suddenly discovering you've acquired a Chinese boy in yr maths class!

12. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

We know how to wait our turn (by sensibly queuing)

We love a good whinge!!

Oscillatingass and Stiltskin like this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That's pretty much what immigrants do when they come here, isn't it? Is that what you're advocating.

Anyway, your advice comes too late for me. I have.

Which ones might be permitted to move to Britain, I wonder.

FrankWolley likes this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Gosh, you all sound so very English:rolleyes:

mrsrandomcheese and mathsmutt like this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This is utter rubbish, and off the point entirely, and a typical knee jerk Tory reaction. The education system in this country which does not value the point of foreign languages and teaches them, on the whole very badly, prevents most people from speaking and understanding anything other than English. But of course we English when abroad can get by, all you have to do is raise your voice and Johnny Foreigner will understand you. This is only one aspect, Britain is awful and needs to change, but is prevented from doing so by the vested interests as described by Charlie Brooker above. We resent anyone with money, but we kowtow to them and let them "govern" us for their own advantage and to our detriment.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Uncertainty about the future puts people off moving. (Including some l know).

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Our sense of humour, the goons to peep show, that isnt quite the same as anywhere else. That any problem can be improved by having a cup of tea. And sarcasm.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I often wonder if those who tout those wonderful British values simply represent an expansive hoax, which is protracted and camouflaged misappropriation from all that is not actually British; if you see beyond all of that, you are left with that small dwindling specklet of milk that wouldn't be stirred into the tea.
    I suppose an extension of this is the propensity to loudly cheer on the underdog, and then when nobody is looking, spit on them.
    Apologetically, mind.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

20. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Forget pancakes, they're a load of crepe.