1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

What's good about being British?
    Our Class system.
    Tax Havens
    Land ownership, wealth and power
    Bent politicians
    Official Secrets Act
    Childhood poverty.
    Working poor.
    Expensive housing
    Expensive energy
    Monopolies
    Privatized railways
    World leading rail fares
    Academies. MATs and all the other political ideological initiatives
    Poor people voting for a political party that is diametrically opposed to their own best interests.
    Crumbling roads
    Crumbling infrastructure
    Michael Gove
    Incompetent MPs such as May.
    Tories
    Trolls
    Initiatives
    Partisan press and media
    non-disclosure Agreements
    etc, etc, etc

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I like Britain and am happy to be British. I can't think of many places I'd prefer to live.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And of course, making people who¡ve been here for decades register to stay.
    Read this, it's shameful. This poor woman. (Video plays better from here)
    https://stv.tv/news/politics/1436008-eu-citizens-brand-registration-insulting-ahead-of-brexit/

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I feel fortunate to have been born in a country that is politically stable, democratic, in global terms wealthy, green as opposed to arid or frozen, geographically varied with a beautiful coastline, and not prone to spectacular natural or climatic disasters.

Britishness for me is acknowledging that our culture, language, and heritage are the product of successive waves of immigration, settlement, invasion, dynastic ambition and foreign trade over thousands of years. I don't lay claim to any special stereotypical national characteristics that could easily be applied to any members of the human race anywhere at any time. I'm a human being who lives in the British Isles - anything else is just self-serving popular myth and cultural constructs.

I don't feel 'proud' to be British - for me that implies a sense of superiority. I feel fortunate to live here, and that's all. If I'd been born anywhere else in Western Europe I'd probably feel the same way. How they got planning permission for the English Channel is beyond me - it was a mistake in my opinion. :)

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

What @magic surf bus said.
    I was talking with my daughter only this morning about how lucky we are not to live in a country that's constantly being bombed.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Jerusalem...the song, not the place!
    Pageantry...state opening of parliament, royal weddings, etc.

I also feel very fortunate...there are so many advantages the world over for being white, middle class, British, etc. I am very lucky.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

You forgot to add, endless moaning.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:)

+ It's easy to bash Britain and the British and when people do it gets little more than a :rolleyes: - someone's in a grumpy mood.

nomad and Ivartheboneless like this.
  9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Not strictly British :)

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I remember a conversation with my dad when I was very young. Young enough to believe that britain was the centre of the world because it was all I knew, in the same way I believed that the real Father Christmas was at the department store in my town every Christmas and it never occured to me that he might go somewhere else.

Anyway one day we, my dad and I were looking at a map of the world and I realised that britian wasn't really the centre of the world, saw that it was relatively puny compared to the rest of the world. So I asked him why it was called Great Britain. And he told me that it was because our health and education services really were the greatest and were envied by people all around the world.

Both are on their knees now and being coveted rather than envied, by Trump for one, who says we get it too cheap and should be willing to pay more for it. And yes, maybe we should be willing to pay higher taxes to protect our public services but that's not what he means. He means paying enough for health to make profit for a few.

We have stood by and watched while what made us great has been run down and dismantled to be hived off to the highest bidder (or worse, not even the highest, just the bid from the closest ally)

11. LondonCanary

Like the Father Christmas idea, you believed that?

12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

What I love most about Britain is our sense of humour, our unquenchable cynicism and awareness about the hypocrisy and nastiness of our (attempted) rulers:
    Charlie Brooker on Tories.jpg

13. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Stiltskin likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

"Money-minded machine men", said the multi-millionaire.

nomad likes this.
  15. MAGAorMIGA

Which of course invalidates everything Charlie Brooker has had to say on any subject, ever. For Pete's sake, what kind of stupid argument is it which tries to nix them on the basis of how successful they've been?

coffeekid likes this.
  16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You see the thing is, that when all the 28 countries in Europe were polled on "quality of life" a few years ago, Britain was second from the bottom. (Don't ask for a link but I remember it at the time) I expect it would be better to be French or German or Austrian or many of the other European nationalities. They got over the war, but we didn't. We think we won it, but we didn't even do that without going in hock to the USA (both times). I still don't understand why migrants and asylum seekers want to come here.

17. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

It seems clear you despise this country. Why not find a country which suits you better and move there?

18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Perhaps they have heard there is something good about the UK? Daft I know!

border_walker and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  19. MAGAorMIGA

The "Foxtrot Oscar to Russia" argument. That'll work.

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As usual, I'm on indefinite punishment for criticising a poster (prizes for...) but will up my now post in order to support my previous (still premoderated) post in which I'd like to know where else the freedom to post such opinions would be totally OK.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019