1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I thought yesterday's People's Vote march demonstrated everything good about Britishness.

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It was the 25th anniversary of Donald Swann’s death yesterday. Self deprecating humour like this is a very British trait (and I do realise this is about the English rather than the British).

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They were two xenophobic gets.

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It’s called satire!

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Whenever there is a natural disaster we are the first to send aid. Whenever there is a pledge for aid we are usually one of the few countries that actually writes the cheque we pledged. Plus, despite what you read, we are probably the least racist country in the world.

peter12171 likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Aye; it's only bants.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I knew Donald Swann - went to his house for tea a couple of times, hung out with his daughter, and he wrote the music for some lyrics I'd written. Lovely man: funny, gentle and intelligent.

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

With all that's going on re Brexit, I'd say: 'Is the inability to make up our minds, 'Britishness'?

9. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Ah, I know: Making a decent cup of tea, is Britishness. I have had some disasters served up in other countries. For example, this year, I asked for a cup of tea in Tenerife and they gave me a cup and a little tea bag. I put the tea bag into the cup, swashed it around a bit, and asked if they had some milk, at which point they held it under the machine (meant for cappuccino I guess) and out came all this awful frothy milk on top of my rotten cup of tea. I'm afraid I just said: 'I'm sorry but I really can't drink this!'

EmanuelShadrack and peter12171 like this.