1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's Good About Britain and Britishness?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I read that we're good at making social connections, (a good example is on TES) - and we make friends to whom we can turn in a crisis (not necessarily family, but friends) - and aren't there many problems aired on here with good replies? What else is good about Britain and Britishness that you like?

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Me! lol

3. JosieWhitehead

Ha ha ha - - - Don't forget me too! I don't think we have one in my family or family history who isn't British - but I'm NOT sure that adds goodness to Britishness!! I do agree with what I read. We are good at being good friends - - - - well, sometimes!

4. oldsomeman

I'm the besty person in the whole place :rolleyes:

5. JosieWhitehead

We are stoical and adaptable - and that is because of the changeable weather we have. 'I don't like to grumble' and when I go out for the day, I take clothing which will match any change in weather.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'd say nothing, and mean it, but I'm not going to say why and upset the applecart because it would lead to more arguments.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

Cor .You mean it will stop another argument /discussion happening. So nice.Shyness is a form of Englishness.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

"Englishness"

[​IMG]

Jamvic, borges33, catmother and 6 others like this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I recently experiencesda nice spring festival in part of europe. GIfts and flowers and general niceness to mark the end of winter. And as a result of that I've had various conversations about carnival, spring festivals, easter and so on and about the different traditions there are around the world. Some countries have really lovely customs like that spring one, then there's the huge carnivals around the world be it the raucous gaudy celebreations in Rio or the satirical songs in Spain. And when asked what we do, I thought of rolling eggs down hills. "Do you really do that?" "No, not really" And all I could think of was pancakes on pancake day and chocolate at easter. And it really got me wondering, for all our talk about british heritage and traditions and values, what do we actually do about it? I can't think of anything. The Maypole? Where does that still happen?

(Mind you, if you tell anyone about Burn's night and the toast to the haggis, they think you're kidding anyway.)

10. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

That none of us can agree on what Britain and Britishness actually are.
    ;)

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He did vote for Brexit.

oldsomeman likes this.
  12. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Yorkshire pudding.

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Very un-British qualities. The true Brit:

whinges terribly whilst contradictorily claiming how much one doesn’t mind!

keeps saying sorry for things no else in the world would apologise for

remarks with some astonishment how changeable the weather has been lately

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

15. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

The Monsal Trail in the Peak District. There's nothing not good about it.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Personally I'm struggling to identify anything positive about Britain or being British at the moment.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I can go and see a live football match most Saturdays

sparkleghirl likes this.
  19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You have been listening in on my weekly phone calls to my mother!

monicabilongame and colpee like this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What about if you are not capable of getting there, as huge swathes of the population are not?

monicabilongame likes this.