1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone having for dinner tonight....the sequel!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2012.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

We plan week by week as well - only way for us to get a big shop done so we don't spend the entire week in the supermarket. However ours gets rejigged a lot as the week goes by as PC jr is either out or brings round extras for us to feed at least 3 times a week - we have to be flexible!
    PC Jr has just made buttermilk pancakes with bacon and maple syrup for Father's Day (with a little help from me).
    We are going to Mum's tonight so no cooking for me - just reports (still).

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I plan for the week too. With just the two of us it is easy to stick to.
    Tonight's dinner will be roast chicken with mash, roast potatoes, carrots and peas. I might do some roasties too as I still have some in the freezer from Christmas. About time I used them up! I'll know not to do as many next year.

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

You freeze your own roasties? How do you re-heat them?
    I can't make roasties. I've tried. I've really tried. My MIL made the most amazing roasties - crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside with the most yummy flavour. She par-boiled them; drained and then shook the pan to make them fluffy and used "Cookeen" which was heated to a very high temperature. She showed me how to do it. I watched her week after week but I never managed it. I've resorted to Aunt Bessies or Tesco finest. They're OK but I want to do the real thing.

4. bombaysapphire

I did this following a recommendation in the Sainsburys Magazine to make Christmas lunch easier. I parboiled a bag full of tatties and then gave them a shake and spread them out on baking trays to freeze them. They then went into a freezer bag.
    Now when I want roasties I heat the oil and put the frozen tatties straight in from the freezer. They defrost as they cook and come out with crispy outsides and fluffy middles.
    I had struggled to get my roasties as I wanted in the past but these come out perfect everytime whether I use goosefat or just vegetable oil.

5. dozymare1957

Thanks Bombay (still can't call you BS). I'm going to give this a go. How long do you cook them for please?

6. bombaysapphire

I heat the oil for 10 mins then the potatoes go in for 40-50 mins at 220 degs C.
    The par-boiling initially was for 5 mins.
    Feel free to call me BS. It doesn't bother me at all and sometimes feels very appropriate! [​IMG]

7. dozymare1957

Thanks for this Bombay. Will add instructions to my recipes file.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Not exotic at all - and I have a habit of cutting corners when making it just for the 2 of us:
    • 2 onions, sliced in processor and microwaved till soft, then transferred to a pan with olive oil, garlic, sage, pepper and a slosh of wine (in this way I can cut 1hr cooking time down to 10 mins).
    • lambs liver sliced into 1cm strips and dusted very lightly with flour put into hot frying pan with oil in it for about 2 mins
    • add onions and another splosh of wine, heat till wine starts to bubble and serve.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

we plan, too, but we plan 5 meals and let the feeling/food take us as to which meal we eat which meal (ie - spinach always has a very short life so needs to be eaten in the beginning of the week!)

maginda likes this.
  10. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I plan too, based around the contents of the veg box on a Thursday. I've managed to stick to the new year's resolution of meat free Monday all year, although sometimes it's been on a Tuesday, and occasionally, when I've been able to get away with it, meat free another evening as well.
    Today, because of the autumnal weather, we're having Bonfire Night tea: sticky chilli sausges with sweet potato mash. Will steam carrots and broccoli too.
    Have also made rhubarb crumble for Mr W - his mum has had a fall at the nursing home, so it's comfort food for when he gets back. Lashings of custard for him too.

11. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Yum!

12. Seared tuna with soy, spring onions and a ginger sweet potato mash. One of my favourite dinners that I tend to have on a Sunday to help beat the Sunday night blues! :)

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Ribeye steak, baked potato, mushrooms and homemade coleslaw. mmmm!

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I plan my meals.I live alone. so it's easy emough to alter/adapt the plan if I want. I have a veg box an so plan meals around this - depending on ehat needs to be used first and what can wait. Also, I have on supermarket trip with my driver a week, planning means I can get most things there and only need to go to the local shop for the odd pint of milk from the grocer or <strike>a cream doughnut</strike> a loaf of bread from the baker.
    Today I had some prawns and mushrooms cooked with tomatoes and smoked garlic, served with rice. I have enough for leftovers tomorrow....but was sorely tempted to scoff the lot this evening - it just tasted soooooo good! Pudding was rhubarb.ginger/orange crumble....bliss!

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

sounds good: ginger added after the pots are cooked I presume? Any other secret ingredients?

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeed they are yummy! Love them!
    Today we had my SiL over for lunch. I did pate en croute with salad leaves and spicy pear, apple and raisin chutney, then rack of lamb with Jersey royals and a baby leek and pea 'stew' followed by lemon posset, red berries and homemade lemon shortbread.

17. Cooked roast beef, roast pots,brocolli and baby corn.
    Beef was a small joint and was done in about 40 minutes, but by the time it had rested and waited for the other bits to cook, it was on the verge of being well done (bf is dipping his beef into the gravy jug to help it go down...). Cooked the pots in the same tin as the beef so they tasted beautiful, best roasts ive ever cooked i think :)
    Strawberries and icecream for pud.

18. huh? Why was the other thread locked?
    I made pizza from baguettes.
    And for afters we had some goodies I brought back from France on Friday.

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It had become a dangerous time-warp, sucking everyone and everything near it around 9 months into the past.

Have a small but beautiful piece of undyed smoked haddock, so will make kedgeree. Comfort food for a Monday evening.

20. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Japanese style soup with chicken, shitake and mushrooms. This weekend I managed to track down:
    Mirin (shop 1)
    Decent Soy Sauce (Shop 2)
    Dashi granules (Shop 3)
    Udon noodles (sadly no soba - Shop 4)
    Shitake mushrooms (Shop 4 again)
    Decent (ie. fresh not two weeks old) Ginger and Garlic (Shop 5)

With a few sugar snap peas and a spring onion or two, fantastic and reasonably authentic soup can be made (made some last night and will do so again from fresh tonight).

Luckily chicken is readily available, and the shops are all in a 2km radius so a nice stroll around in the winter sun.