1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone having for dinner tonight....the sequel!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2012.

1. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Sounds good!

We also went to the fishmongers, and are having mackerel fillets with jersey royals, fennel and some sauce involving cherries. I wanted to do a rhubarb sauce with them but couldn't find any ,so will invent something with cherries instead.
    Strawberries, meringues and clotted cream.
    White wine of some description - we have Falanghina, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc to pick from.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

As does yours, PC!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have been to the butcher's this morning to get a joint for tomorrow and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted some lamb's sweetbreads which I'm planning on frying gently and serving with garlicky braised cos and some asparagus (can't get enough of it this time of year!) unless anyone else has a better idea for me?

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lucky you, EG!
    I agree that simple is best with sweetbreads. Floured and then fried in butter or olive oil and then sptritzed with a little lemon juice is best, I think.
    I did have them cooked in a quite elaborate way in a restaurant in NYC, where they were dusted with fennel pollen and then served with duck 'bacon' on a sauce made with membrillo, that were out of this world, but it's definitely a restaurant dish. I did buy a cookbook written by the chef and owner with all of the restaurant's food in it upon our return home, which has a more achievable version of the dish but it's still quite a lot of faff.
    I'd go with your way, personally!

5. egyptgirl

Oh, damn...I've just run out of fennel pollen! ;-)

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    The book suggests finely ground and sifted fennel seeds instead, but I'd still go with your way!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Baked chicken with a spiced bread crumb coating...warm potato salad....coleslaw.
    I had some rhubarb in this weeks box which I poached today with orange and ginger....I may have some tonight as a TV snack with a blob of homemade joghurt whilst watching the repeat of Suits.
    I had planned on doing a rhubarb/semolina pud for tomorrow - but if this weather continues it might turn into a crumble with custard instead!

8. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Rhubarb crumble and custard ??????????? Just dying here thinking about the yumminess of it!
    I've been bad. Last night I fell asleep on the settee and woke at 9.15. Naturally nobody had made dinner so we had to get McDonalds.
    Tonight husband is away. I have some mince that went out of date on Thursday. I can't decide whether it's still safe to eat so I'm wary about cooking it. Middle son wants Chinese. Youngest is telling me not to waste the mince. What do you think? Can I cook it and then freeze it to use during the week?

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Even if the rhubarb has been poached with orange and <u>ginger</u>?!!!
    Even if I say so myself, the rhubarb is delicious! And I do love a crumble!
    Is the mince just beef? And is the date a 'best-before' or a 'use-by'?....If ir is 'best-before' I'd go ahead...actually even with 'use-before' I'd probably use it!......The rule is that you can freeze meat once raw an then again once when it is cooked. So you can defrost meat, cook it and then freeze the cooked dish...so even if the pack says 'previously frozen' you should be fine!.....Does the meat 'look' and 'smell' normal? Go for it!

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I agree. Last week I tried a Nigel Slater recipe that involved breadcrumbs. The flavour was lost.
    My grandmother used to cook something called skewits, which were little kebabs made with sweetbreads and bacon. I seem to remember a lemony sauce that went with it - my nan was an excellent old-style 'plain cook' and everything she cooked tasted wonderful.
    To anyone who hasn't tried them, I'd like to say that sweetbreads are one of the most gorgeous bits of animal you can eat.

11. dozymare1957

Well, I'd prefer it just rhubarb because I love it so much but have you not seen that I've been brave and tried the ginger which I really liked? It doesn't taste the same when it's freshly grated I suppose.
    TBH, I've always liked rhubarb and ginger jam which is strange considering my aversion to ginger.
    It is minced beef. It's use by and I haven't had the courage to open the packet to check the smell. I don't like the smell of raw meat anyway so I'm not the best judge. It looks brownish but I think that beef does this anyway, doesn't it? If my daughter and her fiance turn up tonight I'll ask him to check it out. He's a chef. I think I'll go with the Chinese because I'm feeling lazy. The trouble is this means We'll have eaten takeaway three nights running because my friends and I had a Chinese on Thursday night and the menfolk had chicken and chips from the takeaway!

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

C & A are currently tucking into sticky ribs.
    We will have fegato alla veneziana later - onions are sweating right now.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Dozy....your meat should be fine...but have it checked if it makes you feel better!
    Rhubarb and ginger are natural best-friends ......and yes,, grate ginger is different....and you have been very brave with ginger and other spices!
    (I'd have replied to this sooner....but got caught up in answering that other post over on opinion! )

14. dozymare1957

I think he's realised the error of his ways. I'm sorry I lost my temper and was rude to him though.

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I made spare ribs, which we had in front of the telly with mash (don't ask) and a packet of baby wipes. M&S sicilian lemon cheesecake and raspberries for dessert.

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Was planning next weeks' dinners earlier and we've just this planned for Thursday!

17. dozymare1957

Thought this sounded really exotic so I looked it up.........

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

We rarely plan [​IMG]
    Hang on, though - I've just decided to thaw the lambs' tongues I bought last week for tomorrow. Does that count?

19. egyptgirl

Nearly always plan during the week - only at weekends is it a bit more laidback and spontaneous.

Today Mr EGs parents are coming for lunch - we're having a rolled belly of pork with a spinach, bacon, pistachio and apricot stuffing with roasted carrots, garlicky greens and steamed new potatoes coated in chive butter. Steamed banana sponge with toffee sauce and clotted cream for pudding,

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Plans aren't set in stone but we do the food shopping on the weekend as it's impossible to get to our butcher and fishmonger during the week and I couldn't bear the thought of going to the supermarket every day, especially with a 1 year old to look after when getting home from work - I'd rather spend the time playing with her!
    We also plan so we use things that need using up and base things round meat in the freezer or fridge. I can't stand wasting food, so planning meals that use everything up is the best way for us to use up all our food.
    Plans do change and the meals are often swapped around according to what we fancy and what the weather's doing. Meals are sometimes changed entirely as well as long as it doesn't involve any food being wasted.
    The only weekday shopping I do is for perishables such as bread and fresh herbs, either bought at lunchtime or on the way home from work.
    Weekends, like EG, are far more flexible and are usually based according to what looks good at the butcher or fishmonge, or something I might fancy when browsing through cookery books.

Anyway - being treated today as it's Father's Day. A walk around the watermeadows around Winchester and then home and am being cooked for - such a treat! I was instructed to choose what I'd like, so I've asked for steak and chips! Can't wait.