1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone having for dinner tonight....the sequel!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2012.

1. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

http://www.nigelslater.com/nigel.asp Scroll down to books on the Nigel page. Haven't found it on Amazon yet. I am following him on Twitter though!
    Tonight's tea: home alone trashy tea - one of my favourites - sauteed leftover potatoes, heavily salted (naughty I know), with mayonnaise.
    Final slice of the coffee cake defrosting too.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Can some kind techy soul tell me why this thread went pear-shaped?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am no techy but it appears that when threads are too long they go bonkers and keep reproducing copies of themselves. I don't know why but Gail said they they can't fix it.
    It happened to Bauble's Bar over on Personal too.
    I have no idea why. Something to do with the amount of information on the thread?

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Wahey! Persuaded D to try liver tonight for the first time in years after a life-long aversion to the stuff. I'd finally convinced her that she might have had it badly cooked until now (is is usually the case with liver!)
    I had a back up plan ready in case she hated it but...she loved it!
    This means liver is back on the menu chez909. Given that it's cheap, healthy, tasty and packed with iron (she's had an on/off iron deficiency since having M), this is a good thing!

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Nick, D must really love you to taste liver. Nothing would persuade me to do it! LOL
    Boys had chicken and chips from the takeaway. No idea what husband had as he refused to have what the boys were having. There was some goulash left from last night so he may have eaten that. I went out with friends for a Chinese and have just got back. Everyone is asleep.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

To be fair to her, she's always very good at trying things. When we got together there were loads of things she wouldn't eat. I soon discovered that with most of them, it was because she'd had them cooked badly before. By cooking them well for her, it was like she was discovering them for the first time.
    A case in point - liver! Liver is often cooked dreadfully in this country. When over-cooked, it becomes leather with an unpleasant chalky texture. If kept slightly pink (or rarer if to your taste) it's a completely different thing. Of course it still has a strong flavour, which doesn't appeal to everyone, but texturally it's no longer unbearable.
    She also hated courgettes for years. I can only assume she'd had them boiled to mush. Knowing now that she can have them either lightly boiled and dressed or even better, fried simply with seasoning and a few flavourings, they've now become pretty much her favourite food. She demands them weekly at this time of year!

Tonight's tea: Pork loin steak schnitzels, potatoes sauteed with onions and peppers. And a bottle of wine, as it's Friday!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Ooh, I love liver - has to be on the rarer side for me though.

Tonight we're having steak au poivre with asparagus and chips with a bottle of red.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I find calve's liver has quite a delicate flavour and a beautiful texture (when cooked properly!) Tonight we are having fresh baked baguettes filled with fillet steak strips barely cooked in a pan, sliced fried onions, Dijon mustard and a glass or two of red.
    *drool*

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, fair point. Calves' liver is probably the one to try for those who claim not to like liver.
    We had lambs' liver last night though, which is quite strong, as is pigs'.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I love lamb's liver. Not keen on pig's liver but excellent in pate.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I found the last bag of turkey and leek pie filling at the bottom of the freezer yesterday so it's pie, baked potatoes and spinach tonight.
    If it defrosts in time I have some Pear Sticky Toffee pudding and vanilla ice cream for pud.

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

A's birthday sleepover tonight: 4 friends for pizza, choc fondue and DVDs
    I've been off the last 2 days with some flu bug so it's the last thing I want!!
    G, C and I will have chicken stuffed with ricotta and pesto, wrapped in prosciutto later.

13. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Our usual Friday evening tea of cheesy scrambled eggs on toast.

I bought a Yorkshire chorizo from a farm shop in York last week, so Mr W had chorizo cubes too. However, it was extremely tough to cut, to the point where I had more of a 'dab on' than at the gym earlier! (Too much info, sorry!) Anyway I've cut the rest of it into chunks, chucked them into the slow cooker with a can of tomatoes, a leftover half a bag of porcini and marmite stock. Hoping after a few hours it'll be soft and tender...

Found a leftover slice of coffee cake in the freezer too, so will share that for supper later.

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

fish finger and ketchup sandwich

15. Mushy pea curry and chips (SW style)

16. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Yum!

I'm partial to a bit of mayo in a fish finger sandwich.

17. Tremendous takeout curry from possibly the finest Indian restaurant in Northumberland.
    Me - Chicken pathia with toasted pitta bread
    Him - Special bhuna gosht with plain & garlic naan
    + free poppadoms, because the lads in the restaurant are fellow Toon supporters.
    Absolutely stuffed (but still got room for beer... [​IMG]). :)

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The words 'share' and 'cake' don't really go together!

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mutton and turnip curry, Kashmiri-style.

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Picked up a haul from the fishmonger this morning, including a lively lobster, so having:
    A starter of cod cheeks with chorizo and samphire
    Main of linguine with lobster, chilli, tomatoes, garlic, white wine and saffron.
    All with a nice bottle of Gavi.

Also got some smoked haddock for kedgeree in the week, some whitebait that have gone in the freezer and some squid ink.