1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's everyone having for dinner tonight....the sequel!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2012.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Go for the garlic bread, Lapin!
    Warm broad bean and feta salad with flatbreads here tonight. Feeling like something sweet so I might whip up some mini banoffee pies!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've bought some neck of lamb and vegetables, including baby turnips. Still thinking. Maybe some kind of Italian-style stew with white wine, celery, onion, carrot etc and a little tomato puree and lemon, in which case the turnips might have to wait until tomorrow.
    Any ideas?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Tuna pasta bake tonight. Without the creme fraiche - it was 2 weeks over the date and had mould growing on in. Even I couldn't persuade myself that it would be ok.

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

OH and sister's OH are going to have a romantic meal for two of venison pie. Mine has even splashed out on a nice bottle of red for the two of them. Our wedding is in two months - should I be worried? [​IMG]

Neither sister nor I are that keen on venison, so we're being left to fend for ourselves. Freezer is depressingly full of ready meals. Now, where's that takeaway menu...?

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Be afraid, be very afraid [​IMG] Actually, you're really lucky that they are friends.
    My plan went out of the window when I dozed off when I got home from school so the meal I was going to do wouldn't be ready until about 9pm! I'm off to investigate the fridge. In the past I'd have had to get McDonalds if this happened. Now I have things that I can turn into a meal - mince and sausages. I suspect that either Nick or CQ will be responsible for tonight's dinner - Nick's baked sausages with tomatoes and rosemary and CQ's chilli are youngest's two favourites. OH just got home and has taken the remains of last night's CQ's Somerset pork up to his room to watch football.

6. 'deconstructed chicken salad sandwich'.. pan fried herby chicken, torn lettuce leaves, tomato chunks, blob of mayo, and two of those 'ready to bake' rolls from tesco.
    with a glass of wine :)

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Meat free Monday on a Tuesday: Broccoli and red pepper 'carbonara' - I loved it, Mr W wanted... you've guessed it chorizo! He didn't get it though.

Last slice of coffee cake whilst watching the football/surfing on here.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Ottolenghi sweet potatoes with chickpeas and spinach
    who posted the recipe last week? was it Cosmos? I thought it was deeeeelishhh

maginda likes this.
  9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Homemade pizzas- goats cheese and fig for me (OK it's not maybe very authentic but it was nice!), ham and pineapple for C.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

'twas me, H. It is indeed fantastic.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Invigilating CAE exam all day, now marking, Gino's pizza tonight I think! Gino's is a local pizza and pasta place, pizzas are made there, absolutely delicious.

12. cinnamonsquare

Quite excited about wedding menu tasting tonight! I can't for the life of me remember the starters, but we're trying mains of chicken wrapped in prosciutto, steak, and pan-fried cod.

It's pudding that I'm more concerned with [​IMG]:

Profiteroles (on request of husband-to-be), white chocolate and raspberry creme brûlée, and mille feuille with a raspberry coulis.

Mmmmmmm!

13. Yes, nick beat me to the Ottolenghi recipe. I am completely enamoured of his cooking and I adore that sweet potato one.
    I am adapting his fried butterbeans with feta, sorrel and sumac this evening. I say adapting because I'm using tinned butterbeans instead of dried and spinach instead of sorrel. Should still be good though.

14. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Ginger and coriander chicken, steamed Jerseys, carrots and sweetcorn.

15. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

CQ's goulash. Smells yummy but won't be ready for another hour or so.

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Bangers, mash and onion and red wine gravy. Cheap and cheerful tonight.

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

fusilli with tomato and olive sauce

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We should call it the evil website that shall not be named. Incidentally the store that shall not be named have got a sale on and I accidentally clicked onto their website today and accidentally ordered some essences and butterfly sprinkles and a couple of other things. Totally by accident!

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

unfortunately the children ate it all!
    so..plan B = frozen fish in a quickly whipped up curry sauce for us

20. cinnamonsquare

It was all lovely, apart from a little disappointment with puddings.

We have chosen:

Starter - smoked salmon and prawns with a dill and creme fraiche dressing (the dressing was delicious!)

Main - chicken breast wrapped in pancetta (not prosciutto!) with a mushroom duxelle on a bed of crushed new potatoes (the mash it originally came with tasted a bit funny, possibly over-seasoned)

Pud - white chocolate and raspberry creme brûlée with lemon shortbread. The disappointment came with the mille feuille - it looked fantastic and when they set it down in front of us I was sure that would be the one. But the pastry was soggy [​IMG]

All in all, a really lovely evening. We were treated like royalty as well, which I didn't expect as we've plumped for a cheapy package deal. I was sort of expecting just to get what we were given, but they were very willing to make adjustments to their menu for us.

Can't wait for the real meal now!

Edit: tonight is fish and chips [​IMG]