1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What’s App questions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Dec 26, 2018.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Someone I know added me to a what’s app group. I have deleted the message and this contact in this form (though I still have their mobile number to message personally if I so choose. ) Do they know that I no longer access What’s App ?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes
    they would have got a message to say you have left the group

minnie me likes this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We were added to a whatsapp group recently without our permission. It so happens that the group consists of eight close friends (we've all known each oyher for more than forty years) but I still felt vaguely resentful. We eat at each other's hoyses every few weeks, so it's a convenient wa to send and reply to invitations. But it gets very confusing when there are stray messages of the "We're at the pub. It's empty at the moment" variety.

minnie me likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Excellent- many thanks . Makes total sense. Person in question used to get in touch @ Christmas via a text message - probably a round robin ? ...but last year did so via a what’s app facility for the first time. I did not want to be a part of that group so ‘ left ‘. ( I may privately message a New Year greeting or maybe accept that it’s the right time to ‘move on ‘ after 14 years ). Not had a message this year sooooo wondered if they had taken offense ( possibly ? ) ... ( just opted out similarly with a group of friends (40 years on too ! ) who are meeting up soon and will use this mechanism to relate / communicate the whys / wherefores / logistics of the trip. I can ‘t make it so makes no sense to be part ..

I use what’s app with my son all the time but other than that am not a massive fan . My experience of it is if folk who feel obliged to show / write stuff which is all a bit / very ‘so what ? ‘ . Harmless though in many instances on reflection so perhaps I need to get over myself !

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Its best feature is its free international phonecall thingy. You have to hand it that. But like all these social media technologies, it seems dedcated to making itself more and more complicated.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you can just " getting too many whats app messages, so bye for now" then leave- joining and leaving seems to happen a lot

minnie me likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Really ? What do I know !? Makes sense though - thanks