1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What's a good revision lesson?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MrLock, May 16, 2011.

1. They're sick of exam papers and going through them. They're also sick of "get on with it" problems - but some of them need some work on Vectors, while others need some work on quadratic equations, and yet still more need a refresher in Trignometry... how do I make sure this happens in one lesson and still have them all on task?
    I know the answer - but anyone else got any top tips type ideas?

2. Like to share it?

3. I'm not allowed to tell you of a great way to do this, but can I ask why all of that needs to happen in one lesson?

4. Of course you can, you are just not allowed to <u>sell</u> us a great way to do this.

One idea might be to get pupils to swap - they explain one topic to a pupil who is struggling with it, and then repay the favour. Get the pupils to set tasks and they can be more likely to check up on whether they have done it or not.

5. Hmm no... thinking back to what actually happened I think I got it right the first time to be honest.
    But alas, that's done now and I am fully educated in the clique that exists on TES so won't step out of line again.
    I'm still eager to know why all of these things must be tought in a single lesson though so please reply OP. :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have you used Mymaths? There's some good games on there as well as revision lessons they can practise?

***Sorry, that's just so immature of me but I can't help a little baiting****
    **Message to Learnalot - that's how you do it. Then people come on and say what they think****

7. My guess is that, with only a few lessons left, individual pupils have individual requirements so teaching the same topic to everyone would be a waste of some pupils' time.

8. Do grow up, Robyn.

9. Honestly, at this time of the year I'd plan three activities (one for each topic) and split the class up in to three groups for that (main) part of the lesson.

10. In terms of revision you may look at markschemes rather than papers. You may make some graded/coloured/laminated cards from a pick and mix box for them to work from. Get some laptops in so they can access sites like BBC bitesize and s-cool.
    Ask them what they want....anyhow there is not long left for most
    Agree

11. I like getting pupils to work through some "answered" questions, first without and then, later, with the mark scheme. Answer the questions in such a way to include some common misconceptions and "silly" mistakes. Doing it without first gets them to think about the mistakes and hopefully weed them out of their own techniques, and then bringing in the mark scheme hopefully shows that a) they can pick up marks for a part mark and b) the importance of technique.
    As someone else said, I'd also try grouping them based on their needs so they (and you can) can focus on relevant topics.
    Also, look at exam technique in general and, importantly (in my opinion) HOW to check your answers. I've seen so many teachers say "don't forget to read through you work at the end", but the really good ones actually go through HOW to check your answers.

12. One thing that has worked well for my classes is a 'paper race'. I cut up one past paper into individual questions. Put the students into pairs and give them one question each to start, with any spare Qs left at the front. (For large classes I will do 2 copies of the same paper)
    Before they can get another question they have to complete their given question and get it marked by me. This gives time for individual feedback and avoids them just looking at the markscheme and saying 'oh i know that' they have to go and do any correction! As they have to work it out for themselves this builds on the 'how' to check your answers already mentioned .
    Once correct they tick off the question on a grid on the board, replace their question at the front and select next Q. This allows me to see at a glance how different pairs are progressing and wander across to help selected groups.
    I have found they like the element of competition and complete far more work than if set a paper to do on their own. I can help pairs with the individual Qs that are causing them problems.and direct them to appropriate Qs.
    If you wanted to address specific topics you could select Qs rather than doing a past paper.
    I'm not saying this is the only way to revise - far from it. This is just one idea of many I use to vary the revision lessons. I'd be happy to share other ideas I use, but I'm sure others have many better ones than me!
    Please share.

13. That's exactly it - 18 of them want some support with solving equations from linear graphs, 17 with simultaneous equations, and so on.
    I'm going to have them draw on desks with whiteboard pens - we're going to do this in paris given assigned topics. The students are going to be able to take pictures of their created revision materials (that they are doing for each other) that they value, and hence have a record of them. There will be a selection of past exam questions to "have a go at" with these student-speak revision materials.
    Meanwhile, the most able will either be able to work on functions of graphs, or whatever the topic is on, and try to "teach" the rest it (only 5 got it right in the most recent practice paper) using their revision materials (drawn on the desk) and plugged into the IWB.
    I haven't worked it out yet, but that's my double lesson tomorrow planned. Any other ideas now that I've answered my own question?

14. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Just last week got a 'good with outstanding features' from an Ofsted sonsultant (didn't get outstanding because the kids books were not available!) (no, i hadn't marked them in ages!!)
    Split Y11 class into groups of 4. Gave each group about 8 questions to do on a particular topic, with a guestimate on each question of its level (A*, A, B or C). Gave 8 mins to do the questions (individuals doing 2 each), then 4 mins for the groups to make sure all 4 pupils could answer any of the 8 questions if asked to.
    Each group does 3 topics in a lesson.
    Gave answers at end, randomly selecting some individuals to show their solutions. Prize for winning team over a week of lessons.

Not sure if it is any better than the usual past papers with targetted help, but keeps SLT off my back for a while! + the kids(who are wonderful) loved it.

15. Sorry we were unable to help but thanks for sharing. Your opening post did claim "I know the answer"
    What? there's still room to write on the desks. And they have cameras? - what type of school are you at!!!

16. Apologies for any facetious comments. My idea was for an A level class.
    For year 11, I like swampyjos idea above. There was also a revision resource posted in the tes 'revision races' which I used with my GCSE class (before they went on study leave [​IMG]). Actually there were several interesting ideas there, depending on the level of your class.
    Para

17. No worries. My previous post was supposed to quote an earlier post (about them all doing different things). Anyway, I like swampyjo's idea as well.

18. Answer an exam paper with some correct and some incorrect answers (with common mistakes) and ask them to mark it and correct the mistakes