1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

whatever you do, don't hold your arm out

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

because any old political aide could rush up behind you and walk into your hand and claim to have been punched

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...cock-aide-altercation-hospital-campaign-visit

unbelievable.

A poor little boy with suspected pneumonia slept on hospital floor on a pile of coats. Confirmed by the hospital.

1) When shown the photo on the phone of a journalist, the prime minister confiscated the phone of the journalist.

2) When dispatched to the hospital to stamp out the story, political aide walks into the back of a man's hand and is reported to have been punched.

3) When confiscating the phone and lying about being punched doesn't smother the story, the boy's mother is shafted on line instead. Where has all this vitriol against her on social media come from? Who has funded this?

This is democracy?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Infantile and petty behaviour.

Don't tell the Tories though because they get upset when called liars. Like any liars of course they get most upset when caught lying.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Bet the guy is grateful it was all filmed by someone. It’s a serious allegation to have made against you.

4. Mangleworzle

Having seen that footage, aides were forced to acknowledge that it looked like the adviser was hit in the face accidentally, but still tried to turn the story on Labour by claiming the activists’ behaviour and language had been unacceptable.

Because of course that makes it ok to make a false allegation of being punched in the face.

You can't trust 'em you know.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What on earth have they being saying about the mother?

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Or he took the phone to check what was going on?
    The guy was waving his hands in the air, shouting abuse at Matt Hancox as he drove off. He hit the aide accidentally. To the aide this will have come across as intentional at the moment. It wasn't but the agitator didn't apologise.

I recall being hit in the face by a pupil. His defence was that he and a friend were just joshing about. That I placed myself in the way. And the school bought it. But as far as I'm concerned I was punched in the face.

It's a difference of perspective.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This is an ugly forum these days.

The incident was lied about by Conservatives to a disgusting level. And people try to make an excuse for it.

The whole incident, and the BBC's shoddy behaviour, is beyond anything I'd have thought possible.

Time to decide which side we're on.

#liars
    #lyingliars
    #massivelies

8. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I've only seen the video in the last hour or so. There's absolutely no hint of a punch, yet the punch version coming from the Tories was taken and passed on by the BBC political editor as though it were fact, without any kind of check.

Laura Kuenssberg knowingly passes on disinformation, just this time there was video evidence to discredit her story. And if she claims it's unknowing, then she's utterly lacking in judgement, unfit to be a journalist and should be seen for what she is, a propagandist.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As did many other journalists. And she retracted it later on and tweeted the video.

But Kuenssberg attracts a lot of opprobrium from Labour supporters...

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the lad had flu and tonsillitis. He was given a bed in the paediatric ward but then an emergency case came in...

There were chairs to sit on but the boy insisted on lying down.

Boy lies down... that was headline news ... and I get accused of politicising stuff... no story here except for Labour supporters and their increasingly desperate leadership... waving Russian leaked docs around didn't work so weaponise a child lying on the floor.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

People confuse the contemparanous notepad scribbling on Twitter with formal output. They are not subject to the same verification.
    Twitter is not Reuters or Agence France-Presse
    (She isn't getting the same opprobrium for her critical piece on Johnson today.)

12. Scintillant

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1204161266945810435.html

“Jack was quickly assessed upon arrival and seen in two different clinical treatment rooms in the Paediatric Emergency Department. 3/

“Within four hours a decision was made to admit Jack to our Children’s Assessment and Treatment (CAT) Unit for further monitoring overnight. 4/

Unfortunately, the unit was also experiencing exceptionally high levels of demand which meant that Jack was required to wait in the clinical treatment room in the Paediatric Emergency Department until a bed became available. 5/

“We are extremely sorry that there were only chairs available in the treatment room, and no bed. 6/

This falls below our usual high standards, and for this we would like to sincerely apologise to Jack and his family. 7/

Jack was admitted to the CAT Unit later that evening and was discharged home the following morning after a medical review.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Holding your arm out can be seriously problematic, as the England team discovered in Berlin in 1938:

[​IMG]

MAGAorMIGA and monicabilongame like this.
  14. Scintillant

Yes, she was told this by "Senior Tories" (as yet unnamed). Given that we know these people lie by default, such a major claim should have been checked before publication on Twitter. We are in an election campaign and the tweet was amplified immediately by major news orgs, and will have been seen by large numbers of people.

As well as apologising, it wold be good to hear who lied to her, and who was responsible for the large number of bot accounts claiming it was fabricated in the immediate aftermath, although I doubt that will be a surprise. ...

They're plumbing new depths now.

#liars
    #liars
    #liars
    [​IMG]

15. Mangleworzle

Have you watched the video? Do you think he was deliberately punched in the face?

afterdark, MAGAorMIGA, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  16. Corvuscorax

on a drip?

He wasn't well enough to sit in a chair, he was suspected of having pneumonia.

You can't hold a child with high temperature on your lap.

The hospital has confirmed he was receiving treatment while lying on the floor.

17. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

Ah, that might not be quite true.
    The statements claiming the original story was fabricated are themselves accused of being fabricated. Some rapid backtracking going on and at least one of those involved now claims her account was hacked.

For those not aware, multiple people claiming to be former nurses (or friends of?) all tweeted word for word the same denial.

We are being lied to constantly, but some are more interested in what is convenient than in what is true.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  18. Corvuscorax

He put his hand out and the aide walked into him from behind. There was nothing for him to apologise for, he just says " I put my hand out and you walked into it" Which is exactly what happened

Stiltskin, afterdark, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  19. Scintillant

20. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

The BBC is a joke.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/q...er-30-special-labour-last-night-video-1337162

I think her follow up question was going to be about about chip butties but she thought better of it.

#stoppayingtvlicencebbcisajoke

Scintillant likes this.