1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened to Extinction Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Jun 28, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

1. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

In case anyone wondered about the recent lack of "civil disobedience" from these train-stoppers and junction-cloggers.

XR-Gandalf Roger Hallam had to cancel his tour of the USA due to "visa complications".
    Who saw that coming.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

They've become extinct.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I didn't agree with them in the first place so really not interested in them. As toa new party, Sounds like a new leftist populist one, Will appeal to some but it's not based upon reality!

lexus300 and agathamorse like this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The global resource and pollution problem is not reality? There are parts of their agenda that may be fringe and provocative but will probably be mainstream in a few years.

hplovegame48, ajrowing and sodalime like this.
  5. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

I suspect some of them have undergone a re-branding and are now Black Lives Matter. Anything for a demo.

6. WB

WB Lead commenter

The world moves on; they are no longer a fashionable way for people to show how enlightened they are.

BLM are currently a fashionable way for people to show how enlightened they are.

In 2 years' time BLM will be replaced by some other fashionable way for people to show how enlightened they are.

7. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

I think so.
    There are only so many "activists" in any population at any one time, like an economy of idiocy that Black Lives Matter are currently monopolising.

agathamorse and lexus300 like this.
  8. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Not before Black Lives Matter demand their white "allies" stop having children, going one step further than Extinction Rebellion.

lexus300 and WB like this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Phew.

Good job climate change has ameliorated.

Well done all you clever people who saw through it all.

#38degsinthearctic

knitone, hplovegame48 and ajrowing like this.
  10. MyOrchid

If you stayed off the internet you'd cut your electricity consumption and do your bit.
    A win for all concerned.

11. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Perhaps they are more responsible then other protesters/beach goers and have decided to suspend their demonstrations until it is safe to do so.

Climate change isn't going anywhere soon but hopefully Coronavirus will.

sodalime and hplovegame48 like this.
  12. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Watched a fun Charlie Sheen film on Amazon Prime last night and thought of that thread.

Teri Polo.
    Great opening scene in the Arctic.
    Worth watching.
    It's Teri Polo.

13. Scintillant

Thanks.

I only use electricity from 100% renewables though.

A real difference could be made if people like you stopped thinking it was clever to have a go at people trying to get action on climate change, and did something positive to help. In a few years you'll be asking why we didn't do more. I've already seen such behaviour regarding Coronovirus - in the early stages people advocating a serious approach and early lockdown were derided. Now, you can hardly find anyone who doesn't claim that we should have locked down earlier.

Brunel and hplovegame48 like this.
  14. WB

WB Lead commenter

I can't help but think these women are making statements about themselves and how good they are. Doing good isn't enough; they want to be seen and praised for doing good.

Ellakits, agathamorse and alex_teccy like this.
  15. Scintillant

And you are having a go at them on the internet.

You're not winning.

I am very worried about the world my daughter will be living in 20-30 years from now.

We need to get on with cutting emissions massively and rapidly.

16. WB

WB Lead commenter

Support for Extinction Rebellion has subsided rather than climate change has ameliorated. Which leads me to believe the supporters didn't care that much about climate change in the first place.

Didn't say I was. I was making an observation.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. WB

WB Lead commenter

I agree 100%.

18. Scintillant

No. It will increase as time passes. There is nothing more certain.

ajrowing likes this.
  19. WB

WB Lead commenter

Time will tell.

20. MyOrchid

You are welcome. I trust that you power your own wind turbine.

Don't misunderstand me, I believe that anthropogenic climate change is real and that it will have very negative outcomes for humans and many other, more important species.

However, I'm not sure that gluing yourself to a bus or camping in Trafalgar Square will successfully reduce carbon emissions. Particularly if you do not have the means to follow the headline grabbing tactics with sustained campaigning and serious political engagement. On top of this there are many worse carbon emitting nations than the UK. Unfortunately, coronavirus has taken what wind they had left out of their Rebellious sails.

Bottom line, I'm afraid that we are screwed.

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.